JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Turn off Auto Network preference for WIFI call

(Topic created: 09-14-2020 01:11 PM)
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Is there a possibility to stop the auto network preference for WIFI calling? Mine keeps trying to switch it to cellular preferred and I have horrible cell coverage at my house and I end up missing phone calls and texts when it gets changed from Wifi preferred.
34 Replies
SamsungJoJo
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello,

I recommend reaching out to your carrier regarding your concerns. Wifi Calling is a carrier-specific feature.

0 Likes
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
This was something that has gotten more prevalent since my phone was updated. it is a software related issue, not a carrier issue. Unless the carriers have control over some of the software changes? It seems that that would not be something that Samsung would allow... it literally is changing every 30 minutes at my house when I am on WIFI. And it isn't even a notification that I can make silent... which is more frustrating
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S20

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077652/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

hello @Outdoorsman14 

if you go to settings-connections-wifi (actually tap on the word wifi, not the toggle)-tap the 3 dots in top right corner-advanced and then make sure the first option that says "switch to mobile data" is toggled off.

Hope this helps!

Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Thanks! I will try it out! I also appreciate you actually reading my issue and responding with a possible solution!
0 Likes
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@Outdoorsman14 

I hope this actually helps you. I know for me, I keep that option on because even though my home wifi is really fast, it can be unreliable at times and cuts out, so I want the mobile network to kick in when it's acting funny like that. But if you have reliable wifi, you don't need to have that option on.

Let me know if it works out for you! 😊

0 Likes
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Unfortunately, that didn't work... I was on the phone and I dropped the call 3 times because it kept switching it to Cellular preferred and then I would lose cell service
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

Ok, so you already tried manually setting your preferred WiFi calling method to WiFi in settings-connections-wifi calling-and then under network preference you changed it to WiFi preferred? But it keeps switching back to mobile, and the other option I mentioned didn't work as well... Hmm.. and your WiFi router has its software updated? 

0 Likes
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Yeah, I believe that is has to do with the location my office is located in the house. It seems the system is very sensitive to dips in WiFi coverage when it comes to phone reception. I have never had any issues with using my data, it is only phone calls and texts. It appears that if I don't have full rings for my WiFi, my phone thinks I will lose coverage. In reality, my cell coverage drops out in my office, but even then I don't even get 4G where I live... It says that I have 4 bars of service right now, but no indicator of the type of coverage which means I believe it is 2G maybe? Even still, I am unable to use anything on my phone unless I am on my WiFi
0 Likes