JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Turn off Auto Network preference for WIFI call

(Topic created: 09-14-2020 11:00 PM)
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Is there a possibility to stop the auto network preference for WIFI calling? Mine keeps trying to switch it to cellular preferred and I have horrible cell coverage at my house and I end up missing phone calls and texts when it gets changed from Wifi preferred.
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

Omg, it's so weird that you have the same situation as me, well sort of... My WiFi router is also located in my office in the front of my house, and for whatever reason the signal in the family room and back porch was horrible. We had a hard time with streaming and our WiFi phone signals in those areas. I purchased a better router and that fixed the WiFi signal and WiFi calling, but like I said earlier, our signal from the cable company isn't the most reliable so sometimes it drops out. 

The only reason why the phone would try to switch to mobile from WiFi is if the WiFi connection gets weak or even if it disconnects briefly, then it will keep trying to connect to mobile network. Have you tried a WiFi analyzer to check for dead zones on your house?

0 Likes
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
No, I haven't tried a WiFi analyzer. But, it's not the phone switching between my WiFi and cell service, it is the wifi calling changing the preference. I choose that WiFi be preferred over Cellular and it keeps auto flipping it back and forth depending on where I am standing in our house. And I should state that my "house" is an 800 sq ft studio with a small loft area that is on the same level but just on the other side of the wall. I just want to keep my preference as WiFi, no matter where I am...
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

Maybe try a bixby routine that when you're home, it turns on airplane mode but also your WiFi? If your phone is in airplane mode it won't connect to your mobile data,but you can turn on your WiFi separately so you can still have your calls and texts and use your phone? Sorry, just trying to find a workaround that could help you since the setting your preference to WiFi just doesn't want to stick for you.

0 Likes
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
The airplane mode trick worked! Unfortunately, I am unable to trigger my Bixby routine based on location or WiFi network, because airplane mode shuts them off and therefore it doesn't allow it. I will.jusr have to do it manually. Thanks for the help!
Members_MEM1C4w
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks Mari - just tried this on my 1 yr old Galaxy S10.  Have had the same Maddening problem of constant switching from Wifi (which is solid at my office) to Cellular (which is almost nonexistent here).

I found that "Swith to mobile data" was ALREADY toggled off.  I DID toggle ON the "Turn of WiFi automatically when you're in places you use it frequently and turn it off elsewhere."   We shall see what happens!!

Options
Galaxy S20

try download samsung members app and submit a ticket.
once you open, click +, then click error report

0 Likes
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
That is not my issue @SamsungRei. The software keeps changing my preferred network choice. I want it to stay on WiFi Preferred...
userx4HjMbhto1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Same here, I just want it to stay on wifi preferred and not flipping to cellular. This didn't start happening until 20 minutes after Samsung security update almost 2 weeks ago. Only way to stop it from happening is put it in airplane mode, and than need to remember to turn it on when I leave the house. Ridiculous to have to deal with on a new phone.

Queue
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I'm having the same issue. And apparently, some people have been having this issue for over a year. This needs to get fixed.

userRxzU5tnsAk
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I too am having this problem of it switching from WiFi preferred against my desires. It's been going on for a month now and is ridiculous as it keeps causing me to lose reception because I didn't realize it switched.