JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Turn off Auto Network preference for WIFI call

(Topic created: 11-20-2020 02:00 PM)
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Is there a possibility to stop the auto network preference for WIFI calling? Mine keeps trying to switch it to cellular preferred and I have horrible cell coverage at my house and I end up missing phone calls and texts when it gets changed from Wifi preferred.
Options
Galaxy S20
I am also having this problem, but it started when I got my note 20 ultra 5g. I had no problems with wifi calling with my note 9. I went into my app settings and to wifi calling system app and turned off permission to change system settings and turned off permission to phone but it still keeps changing. so one of two things is going on, either the app is changing system settings without having permission or a different all is changing the settings. I will go into the phone and see what else I can find. Will let everyone know if I see something else. I did notice though that when clicking on wifi calling info it brings me to T-Mobile wifi calling option page so I'm thinking that the problem is leaning more towards the service provider and not Samsung (Device manufacturer)or Google (software provider).
0 Likes
Solution
user6aKa7JEXiu
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I may have found a fix to this. I did this about an hour ago on my Note 9 and have not had the notification pop up since. You need to use nova launcher to access a mobile network settings screen that I can't seem to find in the regular settings menu (if anyone knows how to get there without it, please let us know). The easiest way is to assign access to an unused gesture input. Once you get to the menu, you will see an option for wifi calling, which may be under an "advanced" sub menu. Then select "wifi only" and you should be good to go. Here's a link to screenshots of the process:

http://imgur.com/gallery/shOl17K

YMMV, as I have not fully tested this for a long period of time so I don't know if it provides full functionality. But for me, so far so good with receiving and making calls and texts. 

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Unconcern.
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
It is a little different to access it on the S20, but I got it setup to do WiFi only calling and then switch to cellular if wifi drops out. I used Activity Launcher to create a shortcut to access it quickly since I don't have the purchased version of Nova Launcher. I will update you on if it works and if it does then I will put together a procedure for it.
0 Likes
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Thank you @user6aKa7JEXiu for the workaround! It seems to be working for me, but the setup is a little different on the S20. Usimg Activity Launcher, a free app, you can access the same menu and even make a screen shortcut! Here are the directions how to do it:

T-Mobile WiFi Calling Issue https://imgur.com/a/MiSefFP

I am also just testing it out since yesterday, but I haven't had anything pop up! It does say that the call will drop of your WiFi drops, but the call would drop when it tried to switch to cellular anyways for me... I will let everyone know if I have any issues in the future! Thank you all for your help!
0 Likes
user6aKa7JEXiu
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

No problem! It's been working well for me too. The main issue I'm seeing so far is when I turn wifi off, it won't connect to a cell signal automatically until I switch the setting back to wifi or mobile preferred, or turn off wifi calling. I will test it later today when I leave the house, but I may need to figure out a Tasker profile to automatically turn off wifi calling when leaving the house. 

0 Likes
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I didn't think about that, I will keep an eye on it. I just assumed that WiFi calling would get dropped when I am back in cell coverage or not connected to WiFi. It seems that that is how it should work...
0 Likes
user6aKa7JEXiu
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

That would make too much sense haha. But I tested it outside the house on an errand and unfortunately unless I turn off wifi calling, my phone won't connect to my mobile network. I looked into a Tasker profile and it looks to be slightly more complicated than I'd hoped. For now, I just moved the wifi calling quick toggle button to the first position in the notification pull-down menu. One click when I leave the house and one click when I come back. Not the worst thing. 

On the plus though, my battery life has been amazing. I'm getting at least 1.5 hours of additional screen time now using this network setting. 

0 Likes
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
So... something else has changed now... even with the WiFi Calling turned off and I am on cell service, my connection still doesn't work... I had to switch back to WiFi preference and go into Airplane mode. But, now, even in airplane mode, it still keeps switching between cell and WiFi preference... 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
0 Likes
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S20

Does this still happen when your phone is in safe mode?

0 Likes
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I am not sure what Safe mode is? Unfortunately, it is infrequent and I restarted my phone and it hasn't happened again recently. Why is the system affected by WiFi Calling if I am not connected to WiFi in the first place? I am pretty certain it is because T-Mobile saved money by using the Cell coverage vs. having to pay the internet providers for service over WiFi and that is the most frustrating part...
0 Likes