JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Turn off Auto Network preference for WIFI call

(Topic created: 09-11-2020 09:17 PM)
Outdoorsman14
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Is there a possibility to stop the auto network preference for WIFI calling? Mine keeps trying to switch it to cellular preferred and I have horrible cell coverage at my house and I end up missing phone calls and texts when it gets changed from Wifi preferred.
JUMP TO SOLUTION
34 Replies
userEqNTniP01v
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I too am having this issue on my Note 20 ultra. I switched from the iPhone to this phone and have had nothing but problems with this issue. I work in a hospital and the signal is not the best so I jeep wifi calling on but randomly through my day it will switch and I have to make sure I switch it back instantly or I'll miss calls/text. I'm about to return this phone as I have not been able to get a clear answer from either Samsung or Tmobile about this issue. 

I'm not sure why this feature does not have an option to toggle off. I use wifi calling because I NEED wifi calling, what I don't need is to have to worry about missing work because my $1400 phone does not work as a phone....

0 Likes
preskitt_man
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

You can get to this setting with One UI (and probably any other launcher) with the "WiFi Calling" App by Widget 7 : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.widget7.wifi.calling&hl=en_US&gl=US

crackers8199
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

as of the one UI 3.0 / android 11 update, there is now a solution for this that seems to work 100% of the time via tasker without any further interaction from the user. one profile and one task and it will keep you on wifi preferred...i've had this running for over a week now and it has worked perfectly.

https://www.grecobon.com/2021/01/unlocked-galaxy-s20-wifi-calling-issues/

tldr - since the android 11 update, there's now a custom system setting that controls this that we can monitor and change via tasker. the custom setting you're looking for is wifi_calling_preferred1. create a tasker profile that will automatically set it back to wifi preferred as soon as it changes to cellular preferred. my tasker profile and action are at the link above, as well as on taskernet (link in the blog post).

0 Likes
DarinSD
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I solved this by the following method: 

• Enable Airplane Mode
  • Enable Wi-Fi 
  • Enable Wi-Fi Calling

Never had a problem after that. The phone doesn't switch back to cellular as the cellular is now turned off.  Wi-Fi calling and texting works beautifully. 

preskitt_man
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks - I've taken to do exactly that. Was just looking for the phone to do the right thing on its own as I sometimes forget to turn off Airplane Mode when leaving the house or entering Airplane when I come home.

What I have done to make things more convenient is:

• Using ADB, configured the phone to leave on WiFi and Bluetooth when enabling Airplane Mode. You don't have to be root for that.
  • Created a Bixby routine called Airplane Mode. Doesn't to anything but toggle Airplane mode on/off, but I can put this on my home screen to make life a bit easier.