Original topic:

UNLOCKED S20 FE July Update

(Topic created: 08-10-2021 03:31 PM)
usergw5Qix93Er
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Let's try this again. 

Samsung, where's the July security update for UNLOCKED US model S20 FE? Don't say it's up to the carrier either......

I've talked to the carrier and they implicitly state that they have nothing to do with updating unlocked phones.

So....

7 Replies
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@usergw5Qix93Er sorry that you are frustrated. The truth is that the people at the carrier that are customer facing really have no idea. During my career I have worked for 3 different cell phone manufacturers. The process is that the manufacturer gives the update to the carrier. The carrier tests the update at their leisure. When the carrier has completed their testing, they make it available for devices on their network. The last thing a carrier wants is to release software to devices on their network that will cause their network to fail or have problems. 

0 Likes
Hisham_CS
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
What if I am not using any sim card in my phone? Why do phones purchased from other countries like European countries or Hong Kong can still receive regular updates and they operate just fine within the US wireless system? I do not buy it that the carrier has to test every single update for each device in the world before releasing the update it just does not make sense nor scalable.!!!
0 Likes
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@Hisham_CS Other countries operate their cellular networks completely different than the US. I'm just talking about US models. 

My unlocked Note 10+ (came directly from Samsung) currently does not have a SIM card installed, but since the last time it was on a network it was last on AT&T, it receives the updates via AT&T. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
Might as well connect your phone to your PC on Smart Switch.
0 Likes
willliam
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Updates for unlocked phones come straight from Samsung
0 Likes
usergw5Qix93Er
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

It makes absolutely no sense that unlocked phone updates are approved by every carrier so it "doesn't take down their network".  You're telling me that Apple and unlocked Google phones get buy in from every carrier out there before releasing an update?  Baloney.

It's now August 13th and I have not received the July update.  This is absolutely poor service from Samsung.  This, along with the clunky screen response of my S20 FE pretty much seals their fate.  If a company like this can't keep basic promises then why support them?

0 Likes
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@usergw5Qix93Er 

"It makes absolutely no sense that unlocked phone updates are approved by every carrier..."

I think you may be misunderstanding. It isn't that every carrier must approve before it is released to everyone.

The software is provided by the manufacturer to each carrier. As each carrier approves, they release it to their subscribers. Once AT&T approves, they make it available to devices on their network. Once T-Mobile approves, they make it available on their network. And so on.

That is why subscribers on one carrier may get updates before subscribers on another carrier. Some carriers may never release an update on their network. 

0 Likes