JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

US Unlocked Version ESIM Update?

(Topic created: 11-02-2020 04:25 PM)
Options
Galaxy S20

Will the unlocked USA version of the S20 get the update for the Esim option?

userQO8bP07cVk
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Now that Samsung has unlocked the eSim on the Fold 2 there is no excuse for not doing the same on Galaxy phones.

BorisLip
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Anyone knows if the new S20 FE model, one that is supposed to get release on Ocrober 2nd, is going to have eSIM enabled or not? I am talking about unlocked US version without any hacks (such as flashing another region CSC, rooting, etc) applied.

As far as i understand from this thread, it hasn't been enabled on the original S20/+/ultra US, unlocked, and it has been quite some time now since the release, which is a shame.

This can easily be the last 2 cents which can make me either buy it, or get something else.

userQO8bP07cVk
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

This is the problem with buying phones from carriers instead of unlocked phones directly from manufacturers .  Phone users are not Samsung's primary customers. Samsung has three customers that they care about in the US: Verizon, ATT, and T-Mobile.  

The US carriers don't want customers to be able to switch service in minutes without leaving their homes.  Samsung, unlike Apple, won't back the U.S.  customers  that actually pay for their products.

BorisLip
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

This specific thread is about unlocked version, though, which is a rather important distinction. The carrier isn't the customer in this case, we, the buyers of unlocked devices, that care enough to pay a premium on those, are.

BTW, just a side note, eSIM on a SIM-locked devices only accepts specific carrier eSIM plans and doesn't circumvent a SIM-lock in any way or form.

0 Likes
userQO8bP07cVk
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

I'm advocating for Samsung putting their unlocked, direct-purchase customers ahead of carriers.  Nice try at creating a strawman.  BTW, that unlocked you paid the premium for, can it use an eSim in U.S.?  No.  Because you aren't that important to Samsung.

BorisLip
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Creating a strawman? We are on the same side here,  i am not arguing with you. All i am trying to say is "its even worse, cause theit customers in this case aren't the carriers", i am by no mean not defending them here, and totally agree with you.

0 Likes
userJgMpbLrmzO
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi Boris, I was wondering about the same thing. I went ahead and purchased the unlocked version here on samsung.com.

it arrived today and esim is NOT WORKING.

There is simply no esim supported. there is no "Sim card manager" option or anything like that.

I'm pretty much disappointed. I'm with ATT and Google Fi, and none of them gives an option for that.

Hope this helps you decide.

BorisLip
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

@userJgMpbLrmzO wrote:

it arrived today and esim is NOT WORKING.

Thanks for your reply. This is actually pretty dаmn sad. All recent iPhones have eSIM enabled. Pixels got it enabled. Even Samsung's own "Galaxy Fold" has been recently enabled by one of the updates. Why don't they allow it to operate on their S20 series in US is beyond me, but guess it does have to do with carriers not wanting them to.

I can understand cutting corners to make a device cheaper. But i'll never understand having the hardware, yet disabling it for 'political' reasons, while losing customers because of it.

useraEtWkQf5Y7
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I bought the Samsung S20 FE because the specs said it supported eSIM.  Now that I'm traveling and need to activate my eSIM, I come to find out they changed the specs on the website and never enabled the functionality.  I'm definitely giving up on Samsung after this.  Pixel it is...

userLrcf5KYwrI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
I still think it is not Samsung. I think are the big 3 companies that have deals with Samsung not to enable esim unless...
0 Likes