cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Ultra focus issue.

I'm hoping the Ultra is on pre release software at best buy. It took me one min to realize there's an issue with the camera being able to focus on text close up. I had the main lens set to 108mp and couldn't get a clear pic. Changed it to 12mp and still couldn't get it to focus. I was able to with Note 10+, Pixel 4 XL, and S20+. 

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Comet

Re: S20 ultra can't take clear macro pics of text.

When zooming in so close to objects with the 100x zoom, a Tripod is usually best for get a steady shot. Although I will say that retail loaded software can mess with the software of the OS itself I don't think it would mess with the stabilization of a still shot too much.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I am referring to a regular close up pic. He doesn't work for Samsung so his opinion about a fix is mute. The ultra has a terrible time producing a clean in focus picture. Danny Widget (YouTuber) did a picture comparison with iPhone and mentioned the focus issue with close up (macro) pics. First time I've heard someone else, besides myself, mention this.. his phone is on release software too. He did mention he thought a software update could fix it. paying $1600+ for a phone  shouldn't be having focusing issues on up close pictures the the S20+ could pull off with zero issues. 

Zoom at 100x obviously will need the phone stabilized to get the best result. I'm not worried about the 100x results versus closer ones.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

A telephoto lens and a macro lens aren't the same thing. Not saying the S20 Ultra is worse at close up photos than other phones or doubting your experience, just stating that actual macro lens are made to focus really close to subjects and telephoto lens ARE for distance. Having used a Nikon DSLR with a 100mm macro and varying wide angles and telephotos for several years, I'm a little familiar. For example, a Nikon 70-300 will rarely focus on anything closer than 3.7 feet.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Not sure why you are explaining the obvious to me about telephoto and macro lenses. I'm referring to the main lens. Just called it a macro shot cause it's kinda close. Watch the video and start at the 5:45 mark. @6:15 he stated he couldn't get the camera to focus no matter where he tapped the screen. Sent the video to Samsung support on Twitter and they seem to be taking my concern more seriously now. I'm a tech lover who takes a ton of pics. Took me literally less than a minute after opening the camera to notice there's an issue. Take it all for what it's worth. I'm spending $1600+tax on a phone that can't focus on close subjects.  Not excited about the phone like I was when I ordered it. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Sure hope they figure this out. Ive heard a few reports about focusing issues only on the ultra. I too preordered, and concerned if this is simply an update. Can't image spending $1600 for a phone that cant do, what its cheaper siblings (s20 and s20+) can preform. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Unfortunately, the recent update to the ultra hasn't totally fixed the focusing issues. I read on xda it has helped a little. 

This is why I always keep telling myself to stop pre ordering phones. Unfortunately, the deals they give are very good. At this point I'm tempted to just keep my note 10+.  I received a FedEx shipping label notification this morning. I no longer have the option to cancel my order. Fingers crossed they push out another update quickly and it fixes the focusing issue.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. Guess what. A normal lens or a wide angle lens are very different than a macro lens also. There is no macro lens on the S20 Ultra. Yes, the phone has autofocus issues. But don't mind me, you're obviously the only one on the internet who "knows how a camera works."

Highlighted
Asteroid

What do you want me to guess? No kidding there's a difference between the three lenses. I mentioned in an early post and did edit the title to this post. Using macro in the subject was an error on my part. I mentioned that in close up pics there's an issue. The camera has more than just an auto focus issue. Is tap to focus considered auto focus?? Excuse me for making an error in the subject line. I did try to correct it I did mention in an earlier post the issue had to do with close up pics and not macro. Your ignorance doesn't do anything to help. How many smartphones have a dedicated macro lens?? Do you want me to answer that for you? Thanks for the insult. It amazes me how ignorant people can be. I don't need to waste time on here if people like you want to be a jerk about this! I just followed Samsung support suggestion.  Maybe if you read some of the previous posts you would have saved yourself from making an ignorant comment! 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Guess what.  You can take macro shots with the main sensor. Main sensor on the ultra has focus issues. The end.