cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Halo

Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner needs re-work

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm not sure how much investment Samsung has placed on the Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner but its absolutely rubbish.

I moved to an S20 Ultra from a Note 9 and I am already regretting it purely because of the fingerprint scanner which I rely heavily on for Samsung Pay, Google Pay, Apps authentication, Online banking, etc.

S20 Fingerprint Scanner Cons

1. Does not support most screen protectors particularly Tempered Glass
  2. Failure rate of around 4 out of 10 times or 40% for me and that is probably being generous. The amount of times I have to wait 30 seconds for the fingerprint scanner to come back because of consistent error rates.
  3. Fingerprint scanning area is TOO SMALL - I usually miss the scan area when the screen is off so I have to take an ADDITIONAL action of waking the phone
  4. Does not work when my hands are dry and no, I'm a guy and do not generally have moisturiser handy

S20 Fingerprint Scanner Pros

1. Arguably, its on the front of your screen.

Note 9 Fingerprint Scanner Cons

1. May take a little getting used to

Note 9 Fingerprint Scanner Pros

1. Always works. Failure rate is more like 0.5 times out of 10 when my finger is grotty
  2. Grooved at the back so my finger always finds it once I get used to it
  3. Despite its size, always recognises my finger no matter the ambient temperature of my surroundings
  4. I am not limited to only specific screen protectors that support it. All cases support the fingerprint scanner on the Note 9.

Is there a feature suggestion box so I can re-post this to Samsung R&D directly?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner needs re-work

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for your feedback and ideas with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for your feedback and ideas with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey man I fixed mine by looking on Reddit there's something you turn on in the background so the scanner is pretty much always going when the screen off and it made mine like 5x faster no more wait

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you provide a link to the reddit post so I can try it? It sounds like another potential for battery drain though.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issues. I tried the various things posted online. One thing with something running in the background does speed up the response but it does absolutely nothing to reduce errors. My face unlock is just as bad as the finger print reader. I use both and it's very frustrating how often I still have to type in a code because neither the face unlock nor the finger print reader would work. I've retrained by finger print using various methods. I've tried other fingers. I've tried every setting for the face unlock. I switched from an Apple 11 pro max where face unlock is a dream. Now it's a nightmare and finger print is not a useful option either. I wish Samsung would switch to using the core Google software for face unlock. The Pixel 4 is way better.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Fingerprint scanner on the s20 is total garbage! I just switched from a s9 plus to a s20 plus and it's been a month and I regret it. I have to focus so much on the unlock process of this  phone that it takes away the joy of using it because I have to go through multiple failed unlock attempts before I can get in the phone.

And yes I know all the tricks of adding fingers etc so let's not even go there.
Samsung should just push a software update that cuts the "security" by 50% and makes the scanner more forgiving.