Original topic:

Unable to use wifi calling.

(Topic created: 07-11-2022 05:28 PM)
LORJohn1
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
After switching from AT&T to Verizon, I am unable to use wifi calling. The option simply does not exist. The phone was bought from AT&T and was unlocked before the switch to Verizon. Both carriers are unable to help and are not sure why the WiFi calling is not working. I have done tried all the common suggestions such as checking wifi connection, removing/reinserting Sim Card, resetting network settings, even factory resetting the phone. 
0 Likes
5 Replies
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@LORJohn1 If your phone shows an AT&T logo during boot it has AT&T firmware installed and most likely will not allow you to use Verizon Wifi calling. You will need to reflash your phone with Verizon firmware. 

LORJohn1
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Never heard of "Reflash" Am I able to do this by myself and if so, how do I do it?
0 Likes
MDdaigle
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
I've been through that, what AT&T doesn't tell you and what they didn't tell us is that if you get the phone unlocked to switch carriers some features, like wifi calling will not work. When we did that and switched the wifi calling option completely disappeared if we put att sim back in it would appear again, neither company could fix this issue eventually had to purchase unlocked phones from Samsung to use with our new carrier and got wifi calling again.
0 Likes
DanG92263
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S20
Wi-fi Calling is a carrier specific feature; therefore, you must have that carrier's SIM card and firmware installed on your phone to access all of that carrier's features. For this reason, you will see the same model phone in an 'unlocked' version (not carrier specific) and in a specific carrier's version, like AT&T or Verizon. These carrier specific phones can be unlocked by the carrier if you don't owe the carrier any monies and the phone is paid in full. You just go to the carrier's website and put in your IMEI number and they will provide you the unlock code. Once the phone is unlocked you can still switch to another carrier and use it; however, to access the full features of your new carrier your old carrier's firmware would have to be replace with your new carrier's firmware on the phone and the new carrier's SIM card installed as well.

Relacing a devices firmware is called 'flashing'.
DumDumTech
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Out of luck. Always get a carrier supported phone or you'll experience dropped calls, poor coverage and no Wi-Fi calling. It's all due to carrier supported frequency. I bought an unlocked ATT 4G LTE phone and it doesn't work 100% with Mint (T Mobile.)

Here's an example for their 5G network.

VERIZON: n2, n5, n77, n66, n261, n260.

ATT: n5, n77, n260
0 Likes