Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Unlocked Galaxy S20 Plus - WiFi Calling Drops on Handoff

Carrier: Verizon

Device: Unlocked Galaxy S20+ 5G

Previous Device: Unlocked Galaxy S9+

Anyone else having issues with their phone dropping calls during cellular to Wi-Fi calling handoff? 9 out of 10 times my phone attempts to continue the call on Wi-Fi, it hangs up on the person I'm talking to. My previous device had zero issues with Wi-Fi calling handoffs. 

Is this a known issue or do I need to return my device?

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Unlocked Galaxy S20 Plus - WiFi Calling Drops on Handoff

Hello @ViperXII,

Have you tried setting Wifi or Cellular as the preferred option?

To do this:

Set connection preference

1. Turn on Wi-Fi and connect to a Wi-Fi network.
  2. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Phone icon.
  3. Tap the Keypad tab, then tap Menu > Settings.
  4. Tap Wi-Fi Calling, then select the desired option:

Some older posts for previous-gen phones suggest turning off VoLTE if you have that feature.

Hope this was helpful!
Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi @Zolfur 

Thank you for the prompt reply. I appreciate it.

As I understand the mobile network vs. WiFi preferred setting, I thought that was only in roaming situations. I'll play with it a bit more, but I'm not sure it'll have an effect on handoffs. 

I could turn off VoLTE calls but I feel like that'd be going backwards from where I was with my S9+ where handoffs and VoLTE both worked flawlessly. 

I'm hoping this is a problem that can be solved with a software update but if it's not a widespread issue, it could be safe to assume it's my device. 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@ViperXII Try to do reset network settings that might solve the issue.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi @RedDragon,

I gave that a try last night and it still dropped handoffs today. The moment the phone says "continuing call on Wi-Fi" it cuts off 8-9 out of 10 times. 

To add: Using the same SIM as I used in my S9+ where Wi-Fi call handoffs were always seamless. The only thing that has changed is the device. 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@ViperXII can you elaborate more of the issue are you saying you are on LTE call and when LTE signal is off the call will drop even though wifi calling is on?

Can you double check if wifi-calling is really working? by doing airplane mode and turn on wifi-calling.

VoLTE+Wifi-calling should not have issues handing off the call

1X CDMA +Wifi-calling are not compatible and will drop the call.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi @RedDragon.

I can confirm that Wi-Fi calling does work in Airplane Mode + Wi-Fi where there is no cellular connection. 

The problem occurs when I receive a call and I'm connected over the cellular network, then the phone determines it wants to handoff to my Wi-Fi network and converts it to a Wi-Fi call. The handoff should be seamless (and it has been a very small percentage of the time.) Edit: Most of the time though, it drops my call. I'm really hoping this is a software issue.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@ViperXII Make sure you received a call from a VoLTE call not 1X. Also try to use Global mode instead of CDMA mode.

Highlighted
Asteroid

@RedDragon 

I can confirm that my settings are both Global and that I was connected via VoLTE, not 1X, especially since the voice quality was high definition. Great suggestions though. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi @RedDragon 

Just to follow up on your question further:

"are you saying you are on LTE call and when LTE signal is off the call will drop even though wifi calling is on?"

The call drops when I'm in an area where I can connect to a Wi-Fi network and the phone determines that it wants to handoff the call to Wi-Fi calling instead of continue over cellular. Can confirm the calls that have been dropped are connected over LTE previous to attempted handoff.

Hope this clarifies a bit!