cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Unlocked S20 Ultra Standalone 5G on T-Mobile

Well, the August update finally came through for Unlocked S20 Ultras on T-Mobile, but Standalone 5G mode seems to be missing in action. I know some people have had issues with the update but I was really counting on the coverage boost. 

Samsung, what gives? 
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Unlocked S20 Ultra Standalone 5G on T-Mobile

T-mobile website says that 5G SA  on an unlocked s20 requires a new release 15 SIM and a software update provided by phone manufacturer. I got a new SIM from a TMB store for free but the software update is nowhere in sight and radio silence from samsung when this could have been an easy publicity win....

Highlighted
Constellation

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

True I just ordered my new SIM. I also spoke with a rep in tech support who was able to see which towers supported standalone. Its not actually nationwide, but you can find out if any towers in your area are 5G SA by asking to be transfered to a tech.
Highlighted
Constellation

It's really quite depressing the constant own goals samsung inflicts on itself. They celebrate the 5g capabilities of their flagship phone but when 5g networks finally go live it appears that you need to flash carrier firmware to the phone to use it. And I'm guessing a sizable proportion of s20 owners are unlocked...it's just painful

Highlighted
Constellation

Just curious. I have a unlocked s20fe on metro by t-mobile. Will these phones be able to access the standalone network. The phone is capable. Metro customer support is HORRIBLE and the idiots in stores don't know what the standalone network is. Don't know who to contact about this 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@userFmo9GvStvS   5G standalone will be enabled on Android 11 update for unlocked U1.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

The unlocked version U1 will have the Standalone enabled on Android 11 update.4ae90350-42bf-4d39-af44-b56cc6e90a8e.jpg