JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Voices to text stops after speaking one word

(Topic created: 09-12-2021 10:48 AM)
userd0Zk11fnqK
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

It doesn't matter whether it's my old Galaxy 7 my girlfriend's Galaxy 10 plus or my new Galaxy 20 Fe. They all do the same thing. When you first start talking on voice to text the microphone turns off. If usually works the second time you press the microphone but the first time it always turns off after the first or second word. It happens every time you use voice to text on all three phones. It doesn't matter whether I use Google Voice to Text or whether I use Samsung voice to text it does it on both apps. I have tried clearing the cache and the data that made no difference. My girlfriend and I speak two different languages so we always use Translate. I use DeepL and she uses Google translate and it doesn't on both apps. It is the most annoying thing but I have run into on the cell phone in a long time, especially if you use voice to text constantly.  Does anyone have a solution?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungRyder
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi, I am very sorry to hear the update hasn't resolved the issue. I know clearing cache and data on the app(s) was already tried, but have you tried clearing the cache partition itself on the device? The steps for that are below:

Warning Performing a wipe cache partition removes any temporary files that may be causing an issue with the device. All personal files and settings are not affected by this option.

1. Ensure the device is powered off.
    Note If the device is unresponsive/frozen, press and hold the Power button (located on the upper-left edge) for approximately 10 seconds or until the device power cycles.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up button (located on the upper-left edge) and the Home button (located at the bottom in the middle).
  3. While continuing to hold the Home and Volume Up buttons, press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge) until "RECOVERY BOOTING" appears in the upper left then release all buttons.
  4. Select wipe cache partition.
    Note Utilize the Volume Up/Down buttons to highlight and the Power button to select.
  5. Select reboot system now.
    Note Option is highlighted, utilize the Power button to select.

If that does not work, you can try Safe Mode, which the steps to do so are here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

Please let me know if this helps. 

View solution in context

8 Replies
MeepMembers
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
It's happened to me also. I believe it's a problem with the voice to text speech or it is not updated. It'd probably not updated.
0 Likes
SamsungQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S20

I can see how problematic this issue can be. Have you made sure your phone is up to date on your phone? Does this issue still occur when your phone is in safe mode? When you try to use this feature do any error messages appear? 

0 Likes
userd0Zk11fnqK
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

The new update did not solve the problem. Any ideas for me? It seems the person in the new comment on this post is also having the problem. 

0 Likes
userd0Zk11fnqK
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

If someone will tell me how to use safe mode, I will try that. It does it on a brand new phone with only Samsung Apps loaded as the phone came to me. Just so you know. 

0 Likes
userGOotZaC5xl
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

this is my 2nd new s20 fe 5g since august 26th for this very reason.  Actually mine is worse on the s20 fe and it is the same on both the first one i bought and the replacement one.  I am beyond aggravated it is one of the most used features for me as am on the road a lot.  i would like some help before i return this one to the vendor also.  It fails about 70% of time.  sometimes it will not even record a text at all then will work for a minute then bail again.  I would like some input on what is the issue myself

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungRyder
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi, I am very sorry to hear the update hasn't resolved the issue. I know clearing cache and data on the app(s) was already tried, but have you tried clearing the cache partition itself on the device? The steps for that are below:

Warning Performing a wipe cache partition removes any temporary files that may be causing an issue with the device. All personal files and settings are not affected by this option.

1. Ensure the device is powered off.
    Note If the device is unresponsive/frozen, press and hold the Power button (located on the upper-left edge) for approximately 10 seconds or until the device power cycles.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up button (located on the upper-left edge) and the Home button (located at the bottom in the middle).
  3. While continuing to hold the Home and Volume Up buttons, press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge) until "RECOVERY BOOTING" appears in the upper left then release all buttons.
  4. Select wipe cache partition.
    Note Utilize the Volume Up/Down buttons to highlight and the Power button to select.
  5. Select reboot system now.
    Note Option is highlighted, utilize the Power button to select.

If that does not work, you can try Safe Mode, which the steps to do so are here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

Please let me know if this helps. 

View solution in context

userd0Zk11fnqK
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I am the original thread author. I am sorry you are having this problem, but I am also relieved that I am not the only one.

This week I applied the latest update and it did nothing to solve the problem. It makes no difference what signal strength I have and there is no error message when it happens. It happens every time I use voice to text. 

I have applied the latest update and it did not help the issue.

My girlfriend and I do not speak the same language. All communication whether by text on WhatsApp or sitting right next to each other goes thru a translator. We both have the same issue. Talk about a PITA. Start a message, say a sentence, look down and the first word of that sentence is all that is there. Sometimes it takes repeating ourselves three times to get the full paragraph finished. Sometimes we both just give up. It is a real problem for us also. 

Moderator.. any way to bring this up to those above? Any ideas on solving this problem?

0 Likes
userd0Zk11fnqK
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

This worked, the screen even changed, and the microphone no longer shuts off. Thanks for fixing a very annoying problem. Gary