Original topic:

Where is security policy?

(Topic created: 07-28-2020 01:54 PM)
userhUJAaLq7oQ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello,

I have purchased a new S20 phone. For some strange reason, many features cannot be executed due to Security Policy. For example, I cannot make a backup or restore one, I cannot run Smart Switch, and so on.

For all of the restricted features, the message is almost the same: the feature is restricted by security policy.

Someone knows how to solve this?

Regards

Jaime

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@userhUJAaLq7oQ Google translated that to

"The administrator can monitor and manage applications and data associated with this device, including settings, permissions, corporate access, network activity, and location information for the device."

It looks like a corporation owns this device or used to own it. They installed this control to keep their corporate data safe. 

I would go back to the place where you purchased it and ask them to remove this control, or give you a new device without this control. 

View solution in context

10 Replies
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S20

Do you have a work email on your phone? If so, it is very possible that they installed some controls to ensure that their data isn't compromised. 

To see what could be controlling your phone, do this:

1. Open Settings
  2. Click Biometrics and security
  3. Click Other security settings
  4. Click Device admin apps. Here you will see a list of apps that could be controlling your phone. You can try to disable the ones that are active by sliding the switch to the left. 
0 Likes
userhUJAaLq7oQ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello @LongHiker ... I saw "Device Policy" option, which is enabled, but when I tried to slide the switch to the left, a window with 2 buttons appeared, "Cancel" and "Disable". Only "Cancel" button is enabled.

Screenshot_20200729-124935_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
Solution
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S20

@userhUJAaLq7oQ Google translated that to

"The administrator can monitor and manage applications and data associated with this device, including settings, permissions, corporate access, network activity, and location information for the device."

It looks like a corporation owns this device or used to own it. They installed this control to keep their corporate data safe. 

I would go back to the place where you purchased it and ask them to remove this control, or give you a new device without this control. 

userhUJAaLq7oQ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello @LongHiker, so, is it a problem with the phone and I should replace it? Does Samsung add some kind of control? I am wondering why Samsung does that, since when one purchases a phone it is to be used by the own company, not by Samsung employees.

I was thinking also that the problem could be with the google account that is assocated with the phone since it is the G-Suite service I am paying to Google, but according to your reply, I had to contact Samsung.

Thanks

Jaime

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S20

@userhUJAaLq7oQ Samsung doesn't install that. 

Where did you buy it?

Someone installed it after it left Samsung. As I said above, this looks like something your company would install if you added their email address to your phone. 

0 Likes
userhUJAaLq7oQ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

@LongHiker I purchased it in www.samsung.com/cl. Phone was sealed when I received it.

On the other hand, when I first received the phone, I remember I could run Smart Switch, but almost immediately it was closed when started to transfer data and applications from my old phone (a Huawei P20) to this new one. After that, I could not even run the Smart Switch application.

Could it be some sort of misconfiguration that existed when I first turned the phone on? I have wiped the phone several times and reset to factory settings, but the problem persists.

I have contacted G-Suite support also, and they told me: "I have already worked with other clients who have had the same problem and determined that the security policy comes specifically on Samsung devices". That is why I am trying to find the answer in Samsung community.

Regards

Jaime

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S20

@userhUJAaLq7oQ It looks like it is related to G Suite. I found the following on the web:

Workaround from G-Suite support that I was able to successfully use to complete a deployment:

-Set user to a OU with basic management and not advanced.

-Complete data migration

-Change OU back to whatever your standard one is with advanced management

I ran into this issue and contacted Google support. You can change the setting in Device Management > Setup > Mobile Management > Enable Mobile Management - switch to Basic management. Support said it can take up to 24 hrs for the change to get pushed and you need to restart the phone for the policy to take effect. I hope this helps everyone!
0 Likes
userhUJAaLq7oQ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi @LongHiker... I followed the instructions but the same problem exists, however, some options were enabled, for example, I could add the samsung account to enable "find my phone" option, but other options are still restricted cause of security policies.

I have forgot to tell you that I have purchased 2 S20 phones. One for my wife and the other for me.

When I go to "Device admin apps" option in her phone, this is shown:

Administración-Ella.jpeg

While in my device, this is shown instead:

Administración-Yo.jpeg

Strange, huh? Notice that my phone language is Spanish, and as you see, in my phone, the "Device Policy" option appears in English text. This is even more strange.

Could this be installed by default only in my phone or it was installed due to some configuration in my G-Suite account?

Regards

Jaime

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S20
0 Likes