JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why did they eliminate the ear phone jack?

(Topic created: 12-28-2020 05:07 AM)
JGCarillonneur
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
My new S20 Ultra has no earphone jack, and the provided earphones plug into the USB-C jack. Is there a positive side to this change? The negative side is far more obvious: you have to choose between charging your phone or listening to it. Isn't this a case of "fixing" something that wasn't broken?
7 Replies
Ekamek
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
It's because more and more people now use Bluetooth instead of wired headphones. I will like to have both as well but wireless/Bluetooth is the tech of the day.
Options
Galaxy S20
That's why I love my S10+ because I have an option to use wired or Bluetooth.
user9sZTgpOvva
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
according to my step-son, there is an adapter one can buy that plugs in to the charging slot for headphones. avail on Amazon.
0 Likes
JGCarillonneur
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
Does the adapter accommodate charging and earphones at the same time?
0 Likes
user9sZTgpOvva
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
personally, I doubt it. I have not seen it myself. you would need to check out what Amazon has to offer.
0 Likes
JGCarillonneur
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Following up on the discussion above, Samsung actually carries an adapter that plugs into a USB-C hole, and converts to a headphone jack. The model number is EE-UC10JUWEGUS. It definitely does not allow you to charge the phone through the USB hole while listening to wired headphones. Of course, if you have a wireless charger handy, or have Bluetooth headphones, you can indeed do both, but what no one has so far answered is why they eliminated the jack. What problem was that solving to do that?
Solution
JGCarillonneur
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

On Amazon, I did find a third-party adapter that plugs into a USB-C hole, and *does* allow you to charge the phone through the USB while also providing the standard headphone mini jack. Maybe Samsung should have offered this as well? https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Adapter-Charging-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B08279WBMM/ref=sr_1_13?dchil...

View solution in context

0 Likes