Original topic:

Wi-Fi Drops on my Galaxy S20?

(Topic created on: 11/11/20 9:30 AM)
PatrickMcGuire
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Screenshot_20201111-085306_Wi-Fi Tips.jpg

My S20 is constantly dropping its wi-fi connection to the internet .  It remains connected to the access point.  Other devices do not seem affected - music keeps streaming, wife's iPhone is fine.  If I toggle wi-fi off/on it reconnects immediately.  Anecdotally, seems to happen when the Google News app is open.  Not sure if it's related though - I use that app a lot.  Here is my software info, and I do have it in developer mode with a few special settings.  Not sure if that should affect anything though.  Screenshot_20201111-091618_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20201111-091613_Settings.jpg

I have reset network connections a few times.  I have not done a factory reset - getting back to my current setup would take quite a long time.

Wi-fi is Google Nest with one additional access point.  Its pretty much new, but one interesting thing about the install is that it replaced an OnHub, I named the new network same as the old, used same password and everything (seemingly) worked.

I'm interested to know if others have experienced this, what suggestions you might have, and whether it's an acknowledged issue that is being investigated. 

0 Likes
13 Replies
Options
Galaxy S20

Try rebooting your router or as I suggested to another member, try a different wifi source. Are both your AP's either 2.4 or 5 gHz?

0 Likes
PatrickMcGuire
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks.  I've rebooted both modem and router and the problem persists.  The wi-fi is a Google Nest mesh system, 2.4 gHz i believe - i have Sonos devices throughout the house and they are solid.Screenshot_20201111-184417_Home.jpg

0 Likes
DonnyVFF
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

but wifi and modem are one unit. the dropping sterted 2 days ago and 5g drops first

0 Likes
DonnyVFF
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

fully updated and google nest and honeywell smart thermostat only thing i added to my 20+ connected devices that were fine till about 36 hrs ago now.

0 Likes
userKsaP24DXtG
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Same issue for me with strikingly similar setup :) had a tplink archer c9. All devices worked fine, but my s20 dropped wifi connections every few minutes. This started about couple of months ago. So I changed my router to latest Google nest wifi last week. Still all other devices continue to work without dropping connections other than the s20. So frustrating. phone's lte internet works fine

PatrickMcGuire
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Uninstalling Google News seemed to resolve it.  But I tempted fate and reinstalled, just to make sure, and the drops started happening right away. So I uninstalled a second time.  But this time it didn't resolve entirely.  It isn't nearly as bad, but I still get the odd disconnect.  

0 Likes
latoplano_6_625
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S20

what is your carrier and software version? (settings - about - software info - baseband ver)

0 Likes
PatrickMcGuire
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Carrier is Shaw (Canada) and software version is shown in the thread above.  I suspect Shaw is to blame and perhaps the Chrome version of Google News is better than the App at reconnecting after a short drop.  

0 Likes
latoplano_6_625
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S20

try download samsung members app and submit a ticket.
once you open, click +, then click error report.

Samsung should know what is causing the issue

0 Likes