Original topic:

Wifi constantly dropping

(Topic created on: 1/20/21 6:52 PM)
users696A9okFn
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

This issue happened all the time with my old Galaxy S7... I thought upgrading to the S20 would see the end of it. However the problem is just the same if not worse than before. The wifi constantly drops. Either the exclamation point shows up beside the wifi signal icon or it just stops working without any notice. I'm constantly clicking the wifi on and off which seems to temporarily solve the problem. No one else on my home network has this problem. What can I do?

8 Replies
Ekamek
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
There are a few things that could be going on. 1st, update router firmware if not up to date. 2nd, use WPA2 with a strong passphrase or security key. 3rd, long press on WIFI name in connection settings and select forget network. Add it back after steps 1&2. If only your devices are getting disconnected, there may be an underlying attempt to force you to constantly reconnect - going through the authentication process - so something or someone captures your security key. Make sure default device settings are changed on the router after update.
0 Likes
user5TpWmVUiF8
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
My S20 Plus started doing this about a month ago. Got the phone in July and no issues previously. It is such a pain in butt! I saw another post about turning off Google accuracy and that has worked but then I have issues with apps that need to use your location. Samsung needs to get this figured out, I have seen so many posts complaining about it.
Options
Galaxy S20
yes! thank you for calling attention to it
0 Likes
usermPxArUOvuM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Same here . For over a month , 2 days before I got my phone I upgraded my internet  spent weeks having technicians come in twiceand time looking this up until  I learned it was this phone. It's not stable and consistently cuts the wifi out 

0 Likes
Only4Galaxy
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S20
I used to have the same problem until I done this method. Go to setting and then scroll down until you find "Account and Backup" then click "Reset" under "Looking for something else?" lastly click "Reset network setting."
I hope this method help you :folded_hands:.
BTW this method will reset all of your connections such as wifi, Bluetooth devices, if you have some other device connected through Bluetooth, it will be reset and well as wifi all the wifi.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
Most wifi dropouts are caused by incoming signal, not the devices.
Update your router with a current mesh-type, 802.11ac, dual band, with WPA2 security. I prefer Linksys because of easy setup.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
In your opinion do you think the Google WiFi router is good enough? it's only a few years old I think
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
or 802.11ax (latest)
0 Likes