Original topic:

Wifi roaming aggressiveness, S20 FE?

(Topic created: 04-06-2022 02:24 PM)
usergl0MQNMM8M
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

I recently updated to an S20 FE, and it has awful WiFi management. I connect to one access point, go up two flights of stairs, stand right next to another access point. The phone is too stupid to change access points, it will struggle along on the downstairs WiFi with one bar and repeated timeouts rather than switch to the stronger connection. 

Is it possible to adjust the roaming aggressiveness on the S20 FE? I shouldn't have to manually change access points when the existing connection gets awful.

Is this just some short-sighted effort to save battery by not scanning available WiFi connections every few minutes?

I see there are some third-party apps available to force proper WiFi management, but I didn't need to do that on any of my prior Galaxy S-model phones, this seems to be a new defect vs my S8 and earlier phones.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Options
Galaxy S20
Nah, it's a setting. Possibly multiple.

Settings>Network Connections>Wifi

At the upper-right corner, click the three dots. Advanced.

In that section titled "Intelligent Wifi" (me and Samsung agree to disagree), I currently have them all off. Mobile switch and location switching aren't bad to have on.

I have had problems like that though with "Detect suspicious networks". It's an evil no good setting that doesn't detect common network attacks. It does send packets somewhere though. It also breaks network switching in quite a few cases. Beyond wifi, it will break mobile data and Bluetooth switching.

I think I'll stop ranting now. Turn that junk off 😁
0 Likes
usergl0MQNMM8M
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
Unfortunately, none of those fixes this behavior. The phone just doesn't want to connect to a stronger wifi connection if it can maintain even the weakest connection to the one it's already connected to.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
Hmm. Let me think about it. I had the same thing happen to me for a while and there was a definite solution.
usergl0MQNMM8M
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Still no resolution to this - S20 FE has the worst WiFi management of any phone I've had. Does anyone else have any tips on getting it to release a weak connection when it's surrounded by stronger, known connections? 

0 Likes