JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Will Galaxy S20 Support eSim in the US?

(Topic created: 07-03-2020 12:43 PM)
userOYcMPJEOED
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I'm looking at the Galaxy S20 simply for the smaller form factor, but am wondering if eSIM will be available in the US market?

Would love to be able to use my personal and office line on the same phone with the eSim feature that I've typically enjoyed on the newer iPhones. 

It's listed on the Samsung Global page, but I haven't seen any confirmation for the US market. 

29 Replies
userFzPezV5H2C
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

looks like the snapdragon 865 chipset has a problem something to do with 5G  ...  oneplus 8 pro also has same issue  and it's disabled in the US model until further update .... no date giving but unlike samsung they have dual physical sim just that it doesnt work for now.... it works on the european verison of oneplus 8 over there just fine.

Ii'll probably skip till next version of snapdragon 875 iron out signal issues

Andygx
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks, that's really too bad. such a awesome phone s20. But not having esim is a serious flaw. 

0 Likes
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@userOYcMPJEOED 

And here it is again, you switched to the S20 JUST because of the eSIM support? 

Anyway, I'm not missing a point, I'm not arguing against the usefulness of the feature, all I'm saying in this and other threads is that it's not included with the S20, and it's clearly stated on the website that this feature is not available in all areas.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
0 Likes
user6ERZq22Xyz
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Just a guess, but I wonder if eSIM has been disabled in the USA because of pressure from Verizon and AT&T?  Would make perfect sense as these carriers would not want to make it easy for someone to explore other low-cost carriers (US Mobile etc).  I have the factory-unlocked S20+ 5G and the eSIM feature seems to be disabled, ie: the setup option for eSIM does not appear in the menus.

usergRNYQ5O9gk
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have screenshots of Samsung support saying yes, the WILL update the s20 to support esim in the us. That being said I'm almost certain they were lying just so I wouldn't return my s20 ultra and get an iPhone. Dual SIM was the main selling point so I didn't have to carry to phones for work.

Edit* Samsung took it upon themselves to edit this post the first time I wrote it and change my wording to suit their desires. Just want everyone to be aware that posts you see my not truly be what the author intended you to read. 

Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@usergRNYQ5O9gk 

To be honest, whatever a support agent might be saying will never overwrite any officially stated information or statements. Plus, I've seen so many examples of people leading agents into saying things they don't know for sure, there are so many ways to ask the "right" questions to then be able to use their answers as some kind of proof of your point, but that's why the only thing that has any real power is an official, public statement.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

0 Likes
usergRNYQ5O9gk
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

@Geno71 so what you're saying as a Samsung care embassador is that support agents can say anything they want regardless if it's true making customers believe there is hope for an issue just to keep our money? The attached screenshot clearly states esim WILL be enabledScreen shot of what was said just a few days ago.Screen shot of what was said just a few days ago.

Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@usergRNYQ5O9gk 

First of all, I want to clarify that me having an Ambassador rank on the Community doesn't mean my opinion if that of a Samsung in any capacity. I want to mention it because in this thread alone it was brought up at least 3 times like I'm representing Samsung or something in here. That is not the case. 

So with that said, as a customer and user, just like yourself, I am saying yes, if a rep slips, or makes a mistake, or even intentionally lies... it doesn't mean that the company is now required to do what they said. But I'm not even saying they lied... ok, they said the feature "will" be added in a future update, according to their resources. They never said when, so while it is still a possibility in that undefined future, there was no deception or lie in their statement. Unfortunately no one knows when (assuming they will, as the rep stated). I guess the only other thing I can say is what I would have done. Personally, I would not buy or keep a product based on an unconfirmed promise of a feature I need being added some time in the future. I would make sure the product does what I need it to do right now, or pick a different product. 

0 Likes
McMaMoUs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Guys, please follow and share my petition, lets try to push it up

http://chng.it/YTb4KkjWLX

mr_tim
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Any news on the eSIM thing? 

My S10 dual-SIM Exynos is having WiFi radio issues and I need a new phone with dual-SIM support. 

0 Likes