Original topic:

accessibility

(Topic created: 07-16-2021 09:38 AM)
KYW
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello,

I have a hearing impairment and use whatever is available within accessibility menu including Live Transcribe which used to work with live phone conversations until after one software updates that occurred this year.  Accessibility menu also includes Live Caption.

This a quote from an article(phonearena.com) dated 4/26/20:"

Those with a hearing problem will be able to read captions for a phone call

In the latest Developer Preview for Android 11, XDA examined version 2.13.302920511 of Device Personalization Services, the app that is home to the Live Caption feature. There, it found strings of code that included comments like "Enable Live Caption over this phone call." This is a pretty good clue telling us that Live Captions will be available for use with phone calls in Android 11. When Live Caption is used on a call, all of the participants of that call will be notified via audio that their conversation is being transcribed into captions. The message will say, "Hi, the person you’re about to speak with has call captions turned on. They’ll see captions of what you say to help them listen along."

My Samsung 20 OS has Android 11 installed however Live Caption does not work with live phone conversations.  This is something that is really important for hearing impaired and deaf community.   I have seen this feature work on competitors' phones but I really like Samsung phones and would hate to switch.  There are folks with same issue and again really important that Samsung does everything possible to address the needs of hearing impaired and deaf community.
Does anyone know if this feature can be made available on my S20?  Also whether this feature is available on S21 or future S22 phones?

0 Likes
2 Replies
TheGalaxy
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S20
Do you have this?
Settings
Hearing enhancementScreenshot_20210717-042825_Accessibility.jpg
0 Likes
KYW
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
Yes, I have both and both are activated. Neither works with live phone conversations. I've seen it captions calls with a competitor's phone. In fact as described, person receives message call is being transcribed. Have tried with and without speakerphone. Thanks for your response.
0 Likes