cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

any issues with the S20 proximity sensor like the S10 had??

I have been wondering about the S20 proximity sensor.....does it have the same issues/problems as the S10 did? with the screen not consisently shutting off while the phone was up to your ear while on a call? My S10 was horrible!! I ended up continually putting people on hold, dialing random numbers, etc... while on a call with my S10. I am HOPING that the Samsung corrected those issues with the S20 model. I love the Galaxy and have never had problems until the S10. Samsung finally refunded my money for the S10. I am hoping to purchase the S20. 

How is the S20 working for anyone that has it? 

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: any issues with the S20 proximity sensor like the S10 had??

Hi @user8bpSSkROqX 

Well to be honest, I don't think I had the same experience with the S10. Maybe it was how the phone was held, I think I recall it waking up a couple of times, when I only had the top of the phone next to my ear and the screen kind of pointed away, if that makes sense... but I wouldn't call it an issue with the sensor. Anyway, I haven't noticed anything like it with the S20 Ultra, but what I'm trying to say, if it's not an actual design or tech issue, but how we hold our phones, your experience might be very similar with the S20 as it uses the same in screen proximity sensor tech.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
Highlighted
Constellation

Hi, thank you for your response. I appreciate it!

Samsung acknowledged that it was an issue with the proximity sensor with the S10's. Apparently it was changed from previous galaxy s models. The problem was all over the boards. Samsung actually refunded my money after numerous phone replacements, etc. When I had my S10 (original phone plus 4 or 5 replacements), I had tried holding the phone differently, etc..., nothing worked with keeping the screen off while on calls. It was so frustrating. I had been told that the S20 proximity sensor would not be the same as in the S10's. I was hoping that it wouldn't stay the same as I have always had galaxy's and have loved them....until the S10.  Maybe you can answer this....is the proximity sensor the exact same as it was in the S10's or did Samsung change it for the S 20's?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi user! 

To my knowledge Samsung has kept the proximity sensor the same as it did for the s20's. The reason for the change in proximity sensors in the s10s to begin with is because Samsung moved from an almost complete bezel-less design to accomodate for more screen to body ratio. As the s20's continue with this type of design they continued with that same idea and placed the proximity sensor in the display. You may notice a small white binking dot while on a call (That is nothing to worry about, thats the sensor!) in the top of the display. If you run your hand over that sensor you may notice the screen go dark, thats normal for a proximity sensor as well. 

I hope this answered your question, feel free to ask if you have any more Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks for the information! Are you aware if any modifications were made to the proximity sensor to eliminate the screen NOT staying off while on calls? I was always inadvertantly putting people on mute, calling other people, disconnecting, etc. due to the proximity sensor not realizing that the phone was up to my ear. NEVER had this problem with any of my other Galaxys. It was so frustrating! I want to purchase the S20, just do not want to experience the same problem as was experienced with the S10's. Thank you!

Highlighted
Product Expert

Of course not a problem, always happy to help. I don't believe there is an option to keep the screen on while on calls. The reason for the proximity sensors on phones to begin with is to prevent power consumption and to disable the touch screen to prevent user from accidentally making accidental touches with their cheek while on a phone call. 

I can tell you from my experience with the s20, I have had no such issues and I love the phone.  If you do purchase the device and have any issues with the proximity sensor you can always go get a free Galaxy Diagnostic at any authorized Samsung Repair center (Samsung Stores and UbreakIfix Stores). The s20 has been my favorite phone yet of the Galaxy series, I have been a huge fan since the Galaxy s2. Definitely a big upgrade from the s10s in my opinion. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Thank you!!

Yes, that was why it was so frustrating with the screen staying on while up to my ear....it should have been turning off! It wasn't recognizing that it was up to my ear. 

I appreciate your information, thank you!!

Astronaut

I've just switched from iPhone to the S20 2 weeks ago now and haven't had any issues with accidental button touches. Quite in love with the phone, to be honest.

Highlighted
Product Expert

I'm glad you love the phone, welcome to the Samsung Community! 

Just a quick tip for you to help with your transition to this new platform, if you are used to the Iphone Gestures there is something similar to it on Samsung devices. You can always go to settings> Navigation> Full Screen Gestures> Swipe From sides and bottom.

I hope you enjoy your new device and feel free to ask for any more tips and tricks. There is so many awesome things to learn about your new phone!

Highlighted
Constellation

I am having the same issue with my S20 Ultra.

On multiple occasion when I put the phone to my ear, I end end either disconnecting it or pressing mute.

This has happened on numerous occasion.

Google brought me here

Is this a hardware issue, or is it isolated?

I have restarted the phone multiple times