cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

fingerprint id trouble

I have the s20+ and wondering if anybody else is having issues with the fingerprint id. at first i could add my fingerprint and it would work for a day or two, but then I would have to delete them and add again. now I'm trying to add and i get to 26% percent everytime and then says cover the conplete area. anybody else having this issue?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: fingerprint id trouble

Hello @floydvoid ,

When you scan your fingerprints on the device, be aware of the following conditions that may affect the feature’s performance:

• The fingerprint recognition sensor recognizes fingerprints. Ensure that the fingerprint recognition sensor is not scratched or  damaged by metal objects, such as coins, keys, and  necklaces.

• The screen protector supplied with the device may cause the fingerprint recognition sensor to malfunction. Remove the screen protector to improve fingerprint sensitivity.

• Ensure that the fingerprint recognition area and your fingers are clean and dry.

• The device may not recognize fingerprints that are affected by wrinkles or scars.

• The device may not recognize fingerprints from small or thin fingers.

• If you bend your finger or use a fingertip, the device may not recognize your fingerprints. Make sure to cover the entire fingerprint recognition sensor with your finger.

• To improve recognition performance, register fingerprints of the hand used most often to perform tasks on the device.

• In dry environments, static electricity can build up in the device. Avoid using this feature in dry environments or before using the feature, discharge static  electricity by touching a metal object.

Hope this helps!

Be sure to click " Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

ty for the reply angel, but unfortunately i have made sure all your suggestions were followed and still am having the same problem. i have had the phone for over a month now and have been able to add my fingerprint since day 1, but for some reason after a day the phone will stop recognizing it and i will have to clear my fingerprint and add it again and it will work for another day with no problem, but then stop. i have had to repeat this process almost daily for the past month and since about 4 days ago i have been trying to add and when i start to add my fingerprint i go through the normal greeting saying to place your finger until you feel the vibrate then lift your finger. so it lets me do this approximately two times which gets it to 26%, but after that no matter how i position my finger it doesn't even try to scan it automatically vibrates and says "make sure your finger covers the whole area" and i can go no further. again thx for all the suggestions, but im all out of ideas and just going to cross my fingers and hope the next update fixes the issue.

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi @floydvoid ,

I am sorry to hear your having this issue. Have you attempted to wipe the cache partition of the device? Have you attempted to clean your fingerprint sensor just to make sure nothing is on it such as excess oil and is your phone updated?

Best Regards,

JORTIZ_12

Highlighted
Product Expert

@floydvoid .

There may be many reason as to why your fingerprint isnt scanning properly. Have you considered the way your finger is placed on the screen. ost of the time it requires slight pressure on the display. If you are still having issues then you may want to lean to backing up all of your data and conducting a factory reset. If you need assistance with backing up your data or conducting a successful factory reset it is advised to call 1800 Samsung for further assistance. It may just be a software glitch and the device needs a refresh.

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hello floydvoid, 
      One thing i would suggest that works for me personally is that I added whatever finger/thumb you use twice. For example i use my thumbs to unlock my device. I added each thumb twice making sure to cover as many angles as possible. So using 4 slots. Now i always get in on the first shot unless my screen/finger is wet or oily. Try giving this a shot and let me know if it helps. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

hi Ydania, ty for your reply. i too was taking advantage of the four fingerprint slots, but i added my index finger only for personal convenience of course. it's really strange i can't get the sensor to let me get past 26% recognition now. i would like to thank you and all the other who have offered me help. i went into safe mode and cleared the cache and backed up my data and factory restarted and also turned off the touch sensitivity and tried then turned it back on and tried, but still no luck. the face recognition is working fine so all is well, but i will still keep trying with the fingerprint id. thx again for all the recommendations and help guys/gals :]

Product Expert

hey floydvoid, 
     Have you tried testing it with a completely different finger ? I know it sounds silly but its worth a shot just to see if it will show you more consistent results.