cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asteroid

"No Sim" Issue with S20 FE 5G with ALTICE from Optimum

If you bought a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G from Altice and are using their network, you will run into a "NO SIM" message and will not know you have been cut off from all calls and the network when unless you see the message.  In short, you phone is cut off.  At first, I believed Altice when they said it was a SIM CRADLE design flaw, however, after bringing the device to an authorized Samsung repair store, the results are as follows:

1.) There are four different networks on a phone using the carrier Altice.  Each of them works when the other doesn't or something like that. Nevertheless, the key here is that you lose service IF the phone is set to MANUAL in the network menu.  

2.) When in manual network mode, and the network gets disconnected because it can not jump to the next network. When it can't do this, it goes off the network and essentially your phone cannot make or receive calls. 

3.) Generally, carriers like T-Mobile and Verizon have one network but ALTICE has four (4) different ones which causes issues if your phone is not set to AUTOMATIC Network.  

So my initial complaint was very legitimate but the reason was due to the ALTICE NETWORK and how the phone was originally set up.  Therefore, for those people suffering from getting kicked off the network and having to take out the SIM and the torture of having to reboot their phones -- change your setting to AUTOMATIC NETWORK.  Since the guy at UBREAKITIFIXIT - a brilliant young, positive, smart kid named Matthew in Deer Park, NY - adjusted my settings, I have not been kicked off the network and have not lost service or have not had to reboot the phone. 

Problem solved?  I don't know, too soon to tell but I hope so.  If I continue to lose service, I will leave Altice/Optimum and go back to any other carrier.  As for Samsung, my apologies for believing Altice and believing it is a SIM tray problem. It was a network problem and someone who had commented nearly called it - thank you!  Sorry design team!

In this day and age, a phone is the most important communications device that gives one the privilege to access your loved ones, to created and welcome business and other opportunities, and to stay connected with the world.  When one loses that connection it has consequences and needs to be resolved as soon as possible.  I believe this forum wasn't the platform for me to seek help and I was trolled by someone (Thanks Samsung for removing him) for voicing my concerns. 

I am reposting to help others find a solution the problem I encountered.  I hope this post helps others and a huge thank you to Matthew at Ubreakitifixit (the Samsung authorized repair shop) in Deer Park, NY --the hero who saved the day.

4 REPLIES 4
Astronaut

Re: Regret buying S20 FE

I've had mine for a couple weeks and haven't had that issue.
Asteroid

I am glad to hear that because I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I am going through. Not getting a person's last call because one's brand new phone doesn't work properly is awful. Keep your eye out for that glitch, it's around the corner.

We have 2 FE's and no sim issues. As for Altice? They are amongst the worst companies I have ever done buisness with. I thought they might be an improvement over the abusive Cablevision they replaced, I was wrong. I hope you get your issue resolved, but is it the phone or the sim cards/network?
Asteroid

S20 FE Glitch due to phone settings needed for unique Altice network

Went to a Samsung authorized repair store and the network menu was on manual. A brilliant young gentleman named Matthew may have fixed the problem.  You were on the right track.  The issue is that Altice has 4 networks and they bounce back and forth depending on where you are and if the phone is not set to AUTOMATIC, you get kicked off the network and have no service.  This is what was happening to me 5-8 times a day.  So far it seems like it has been resolved.  Altice was quick to blame Samsung and I went on that lead which ultimately was wrong so I erased my post which blasted Samsung. I hope people read the solution and do not have to go through what I went through in the past week. It was horrible and the consequences of a simple change in setting cost me the opportunity to not talk to my cousin before he passed and get disconnected from a few important businesses, and work related calls.

Thanks for being one of the nice people here who took the time to try to find a resolution.  I truly appreciate it.