Original topic:

"SIM card is not from Verizon Wireless" and device does not install new carrier's apps

(Topic created: 02-27-2024 11:45 PM)
Members_Pur3OQk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I recently switched my Verizon S20 from Verizon to another carrier. The device gets service, but it still has these issues:

• Persistent error message: "SIM card is not from Verizon Wireless"
  • Poor and spotty reception
  • The device seems to be stuck on Verizon's settings (Network Mode setting still shows Verizon's custom GLOBAL/LTE options instead of 5G, 4G, 3G, 2G options). It also is not installing the new carrier's apps.

I have done these things so far:

• Updated the APN to the new carrier's configuration.
  • The device was unlocked before the new SIM was inserted.
  • It may also be worth nothing that a factory-unlocked S22 activated, at the same time, on the same account, without any issue (it immediately requested to restart "to apply the new carrier's settings")

In this post, @DanG92263 recommended contacting the carrier. I assume that this means the new carrier? I did this and they said that as long as the SIM is inserted and the APN is configured, then I don't need to do anything else. (ie. ignore the error message)

9 Replies
Options
Galaxy S20
Just because a phone is unlocked does not mean that it's automatically compatible with all US carriers. You may find this website helpful.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/smartphone-bands-explained/
Members_Pur3OQk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks. From what I understood, it looks like it should be compatible as it supports LTE band 4, which is one of tmobile's "main bands" according to the article. Is there something else that I need to check?  https://gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s20_5g_uw-10254.php

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
T-Mobile has a web page where you can check compatibility by inputting your IMEI number.

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

Members_Pur3OQk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

1000032433.jpg

The tmobile utility says that the device is fully compatible. Any other ideas?

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
I'm sorry, but I'm stumped. I asked LongHiker of they have any ideas about your situation.

The only other thing I can think of at this point is to take the phone to a physical T-Mobile store if there's one in your area and see if they can help you.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@Popsicle20 Just FYI, that article is from 2021 and contains a lot of outdated information. For example, Verizon shut down their CDMA network in 2022. 

BTW, the OP said that the phone was from Verizon so it isn't an unlocked (U1 model) phone. It is just carrier unlocked. 

Options
Galaxy S20
Thanks. I don't know why I didn't see that.

Do you have any idea what the problem might be? OP says in a later post that T-Mobile's compatibility web page appears to show that the phone should work fine with their network based on the phone's IMEI number.
0 Likes
Members_Pur3OQk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Can anyone confirm what this SIM card is not from Verizon Wireless error actually means? Does anyone know how to check the logs from when the new SIM was inserted?

Or is there a way to force the device to download a certain carrier's apps and settings?

0 Likes
Robin621k
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S20
What carrier apps do you wish to download?
Have you checked the playstore?