cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

text messages swapped?

Hi.  I used the samsung switch app to move from my S9plus to a S20 ultra.  Now I'm experiencing text messaging issues- messages appear to arrive from a different contact than the one that sent them, and when I send a message to one contact, they go to another instead.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: text messages swapped?

Are you using the stock messaging app?

- If not I would recommend trying the stock messaging app

Have you tried force stopping and clearing the cache and data for the messaging app?

-If not go to settings > apps > messages > tap on force stop > then tap on storage and clear the cache and data

Have you tried wiping the cache partition on your device?

- Give these steps a try: 

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby / Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release both keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message may show briefly before the Android Recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight Wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Bixby / Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight Yes, then press the Bixby / Power key to select.
  8. When the process is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Bixby / Power key to restart the device.

If you go to your contacts do the names and numbers appear to be switched?

If your phone is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the issue. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe Mode feature. In Safe Mode, your phone won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identify and remove the app that may be causing the problem.

Give this link a try to test your device in safe mode: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

If the troubleshooting provided above doesn't resolve the symptoms you are experiencing, I would recommend factory resetting your device and trying to transfer the information via Smart Switch again. Important: Please save any information you need prior to the factory reset because otherwise your personal information may not be recovered. If you have encrypted the microSD card, you must decrypt it before resetting the phone. Otherwise, your phone will not be able to read the data on the card. From Settings, search for and select Decrypt SD card, and then follow the on-screen prompts.

Give this link a try for step to factory reset your device: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.