Original topic:

Android 12 Google Default Keyboard Bug

(Topic created: 11-16-2021 07:06 PM)
useryT0xsXZJ6K
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I use Google Assistant on my S21 5G and the microphone icon in the keyboard options used to work well for speach-to-text purposes until I updated to Android 12 today. Since the update, when I tap the microphone icon, the keyboard disappears and I'm left with a an empty text box and no way to add input. When I go to the keyboard settings under General management the default keyboard shows as "Google Voice Typing [Legacy]" instead of "Samsung Keyboard." Once I change it back, the keyboard reappears. Also, at this point, my only 2 keyboard options are the two mentioned above.

I'm not sure which of these steps fixed my issue, but I started by disabling "Google Voice Typing [Legacy]" keyboard in my "Keyboard list and default" settings menu. Then I uninstalled Google Assistant, disabled my "Google" app, and restarted my phone. After the reboot, the "Google Voice Typing" option showed up in my "Keyboard list and default" settings menu without the "[Legacy]" annotation.  Now with this new keyboard enabled, when my Samsung Keyboard is open I can tap the keyboard icon in the lower right corner and change the input to Google Voice Typing for speech-to-text.

I hope this helps someone else who has this same issue. Also, after I got this working, I re-enabled my "Google" app and re-installed the "Google Assistant" app and I now have the Legacy keyboard option available again, but I left it disabled.

17 Replies
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm trying to follow what you are saying but isn't the microphone for voice input? I tried going into Google assistant and I'm able to tap the mic for voice and come back to a text input afterwards
0 Likes
useryT0xsXZJ6K
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Mine was actually changing the default keyboard to the Google Voice Typing [Legacy] keyboard, so neither the microphone icon would show up any longer nor would the Samsung keyboard display. Also, I didn't do anything with the Google Assistant app other than uninstall/reinstall it.
Options
Galaxy S21
oh I see at least it was easily fixed
LoriN68
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Oh my gosh..... thank you, thank you. You saved me! But now I can't find my microphone to do voice to text
0 Likes
useryT0xsXZJ6K
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
If you have the keyboard up and the keyboard button enabled on the navigation bar, tap the keyboard icon and select the Google Voice Typing option.
0 Likes
LoriN68
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
But that's what caused my whole keyboard to disappear was enabling that Google Is voice typing legacy. Actually all this stuff happened after the new update
0 Likes
LoriN68
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Will enabling that Google Voice Typing [Legacy] mess everything up again? Couldn't figure out how to uninstall the Google assistant app either. I just really suck at this technology stuff. I really appreciate your input. I was able to switch the Samsung voice input switch From the "keyboard list and default". So the microphone is now up.
0 Likes
useryT0xsXZJ6K
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
To uninstall Google Assistant, just tap and hold the app icon on your home screen and a sub-menu will pop up with "uninstall" as an option. To disable the "Google" app, do the same. To re-enable it, you'll need to go into your settings->apps and tap on "Google" and find the enable button at the bottom.
0 Likes
LoriN68
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Ohhhh makes sense.... great! Thank you
0 Likes