Original topic:

Apps on S21 Ultra does not recognize external storage

(Topic created: 05-16-2021 10:24 AM)
userfTEkeiwpkN
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I just got S21 Ultra, apps does not recognize external SD cards (connected by sd card reader) or SSD drives, while the phone itself recognize them, none of the apps sees them to name few, Amazon photos and Lightroom, is this by design? or is it something that needs to be fixed?

Lightroom App on my S9 , recognize the DS card connect by the sd card reader, it is very important to me to be able to access an external SD or an SSD card from the new S21, I'm currently thinking of returning the phone as being able to use external storage was the main reason I upgraded the phone.

Thank you

9 Replies
MrSoandSo
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Are to using a Samsung SD card? If not try one.
0 Likes
userfTEkeiwpkN
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

it is a Samsung SD card and it works on S9, S8 but not on the S21 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21
This is an Android 11 issue, not specially Samsung. It's one of the reasons why Samsung removed the SD Card in the phone, because Google themselves are phasing it out.

If you're trying to upload to Amazon photos, the workaround is to use file explorer to browse to your photos, select them and click share. Then click upload to Amazon photos.
userfTEkeiwpkN
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you for your response, I need to access my Lightroom library in the SD card, it's not possible because Lightroom is not detecting the SD card

0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@userfTEkeiwpkN  Yes, unfortunately we cant access an SD card from Lightroom Mobile.  While not ideal I use "My Files" to select the photo's on the card and then "Share" them to LR.  This puts the selected photo's into the LR "All Photos" album

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes
userfTEkeiwpkN
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I have hundreds of pictures I don't want to fill up the new phone, this is not a good solution for me sadly 😞

thank you for your response 

bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Everyone uses their phone and apps differently.  Personally I mostly use Lightroom (PC) to catalog and to perform some photo correction and I do that on my big screen PC, not on my phone.

I may use the LR mobile app for the photo correction of photo's I took with the phone but seldom  bring one of my DSLR pics over to edit but when I do I usually make that transfer using the Creative Cloud. But that's just me.

Your best bet would be to contact Adobe and put in a feature request for the app.  At least you might find out where the issue is, Android or Adobe.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

I contacted Adobe and they said the following.  The feature request is for USB accessible external storage.

"We've looked into it a little further and it appears the S21 doesn't use SD card storage. That is the only 'external' storage we support. 

The workflow you are asking for is not currently supported. I will convert this to a feature request."

Bill
---
userfTEkeiwpkN
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you

0 Likes