JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Bixby button RETURN

(Topic created: 10-10-2022 01:19 AM)
Hamly
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
After useing the s21 plus I realized it is missing alot of things. The missing Bixbi button and jack replaced the old mp3 player.
No button equals = cant move immediately to songs
No jack = worse sound and my type c is almost worn out.
The lack of screen resolution means its also going to be less fun if I ever decided I wanted to use it in those old vr glasses when it gets old.

Also I think my carrier turned off radio

The phone just is not an amazing ultimate multi use machine anymore.
This just leaves me wanting a
Mp3 players
Vr googles
Radio
Heart rate monitor etc

The argument that not enough people will be useing it dose not really stand next to the idea we should have dumb phones such as a flip phones and a billion other devices too. Wasnt it the whole point that a phone had to replace other devices to be concidered smart.

If it also came with a bunch of ir lights so I could use ir headphones it would also be cool instead of costly low quality blue tooth but maybe that belongs more on a laptop.
0 Likes
12 Replies
SuperBoop
Sun
Options
Galaxy S21
Unfortunately it's time to let go of the headphone jack on phones. It's not coming back to the average flagship. Bixby can still be enabled thru the side power button. No jack and worse sound isn't entire untrue. I've used high quality wired earbuds and I've used wireless earbuds from multiple brands including Samsung. And next time do your research before buying a phone just to complain about it. A dedicated bixby button is not likely to return nor is the headphone jack.

If you still prefer wired earbuds and it's 'better' sound quality. You can still use usbc earbuds.
0 Likes
Hamly
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I have had samsung buds. They got quiet in one ear. I have had 2 akg ear phones. They got quiet in one ear until the metal film fell off. I have had bluetooth sony bluetooth ear phone thing. It got quiet in one ear. Clearly you dont use your stuff until it disintegrates.

Obviously I dont use bixby. I use the button.

You certainly dont know what your talking about but you made some interesting ideas. Maybe I should just use my type c akg ear phones even though I checked on my s8 and clearly the noise coming out of the jack is louder and sounds better on my akg jacked headphones of the same type.

My s21 plus dose not have a removeable back. My type c port is not going to magicaly fly off and get replaced once its worn. Maybe if samsung had two type c ports on there phones type c audio would not be such a bad idea. My s8 can barely stay connected to my computer long enough to tranfer files by wire if it does not move. How is that going to work for my new phone that is showing signs its type c port is getting worn. Maybe not being able to charge a phone is just such a funny idea that the next upgrade will be getting rid of the type c port. We will have to cary the wireless charging pad around with us to charge and use it at the same time.

But sure. To someone who dose not use their cheaply made high price name brand products at least until they break, having a legacy standard to use old audio devices that have not broken yet seems like madness. Who would ever want to use something that will not break.
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
If it's getting quiet in one ear until the "metal film fell off", I hope you tried cleaning them before deciding they're broken.
0 Likes
Hamly
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I do but its a small device. Its a loseing battle if I decide it is the only audio device I am going to use. I still use them but its way more maintenance heavy than it should be. The button chip covers also fall off and need to be glued on. I got to wrap the wire next too the type c so it wont flex off. I use headphones whenever I can but the wires on those will also wear off. I dont want to keep buying this stuff so I just solder a new 3.5 mm connector on.
0 Likes
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
Test
0 Likes
Solution
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
Ugh, comment got lost in a server error. Here we go again...

Tldr is that 3.5 (and VR) on phones is dead and you shouldn't hold your breath for them to come back. The engineers have claimed the space and the marketers love that they can sell you Bluetooth headphones.

1) buy more recent Bluetooth headphones. I would strongly recommend that you don't get anything older than the buds live, and look at refurbished! Good as new for a quarter the cost.
2) purchase braided USBC headphones. Braided cables are significantly stronger, and because it's going to be the standard option going forward (just you wait, they're coming for laptop 3.5mm ports too) it would be wise to invest in a good pair of USBC cans.
3) get an adaptor or a USBC to 3.5mm DAC. This way you can use any 3.5mms you may have laying around and while the basic adaptor won't get you back any sound quality (might be worse even), even a cheap DAC will get you better sound quality than any built in headphone jack on a phone ever could, and you can always plug it in to other devices.

Secret option number 4) purchase literally any Sony device on the market because every phone they make still has a headphone jack, a dedicated camera button that I believe can be reprogrammed, and they have a few phones out there with 4K. We don't talk about Sony around these parts though 😉
Hamly
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Woe is me. The greedy claws of the android ecosystem attempt to tighten around my decisions. The samsung monolith is punishing me for having a car that has a 6 stack cd player and a 3.5mm jack instead of the magical samsung car. The universal standard of audio wasnt good enough for samsung. They want me to get a new car each year.

Thanks for the advice. I really just hate getting usb c because its so much more expensive for the tiniest piece of metal that dose the same job. With vr on phones I was only really annoyed at the screen resolution because with rift cat and controller 4 vr I heard vr was totally doable. I think most of my cabels are braided. They never add that bendy rubber/plastic piece that keeps it from flexing off right at the port so I have to solve that each time. My laptop probably has a lot of years left in it but I do use a dac because its 3.5mm port seems a bit worn and I really like the sound. I do hope the usb port will last as long as the laptop. It also has usb c so I can see them trying. Funnily enough after useing the dac now I wish my computer had a 6.3mm jack because that thing looks like it will last forever and there was totally room for them to fit one in my laptop.

I am probably going to get a note 9 as an entertainment phone and carry around two phones. I just dont like the idea of getting something old even though it is equivalent of samsungs new mid range. I wish they would bring it back every 10 years or so with simple hardware spec upgrades.
0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
3.5 audio jack was discontinued after the s10, I think. Where have you been?

A lot of people complained about the Bixby button (and Bixby itself), so it too was removed awhile ago.

It's weird that people will spend a couple of hundred dollars, or more, on a phone and not do their research before buying it, then come here to complain.
SuperBoop
Sun
Options
Galaxy S21
Exactly my point! It's absolutely crazy.
0 Likes