JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Casting a phone's screen (Galaxy) to a Samsung Tizen Smart TV disables phone calls (in&out).

(Topic created: 03-22-2021 01:04 PM)
KyrieKaze
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. I was hoping I can post about this here because my problem involves a Smart TV; I assume that those belong in the Smart Home category? Perhaps I should have asked this in the Samsung Apps/Services? -shrugs-

Anyways, here is our issue:
When casting a phone's screen (Galaxy) to a Samsung Tizen Smart TV using SmartThings and/or Chromecast causes the Galaxy phone to be unable to send or receive calls. Multi-tasking with anything else on the phone while casting media to the TV seems to be working fine - e.g. texting works & notifications pop-up on the phone even while casting media via youtube, SmartThings (Screen Mirroring) or Google Home.

So what is going on here? I went through most of the settings and did a little light google searching but was unable to fix this issue. I mean, like, shouldn't phone calls work while casting? I was pretty certain that there would be a notification popup on the phone/TV when receiving a call - especially if you can't talk on the phone while casting, but apparently I was wrong?

I could have sworn that my iPhone (brother got it for me don't ask lol it's actually a decent phone ... but that's a whole different story that we just won't get into :D) was able to send and receive phone calls when casting ... or it would at least give me a notification so I know.

Anyways, what am I doing wrong?

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this?
Assume I'm not a complete newbie and have done the more basic things already.

Either way, any help is appreciated for the simple fact that time was taken to read/reply, :).

A few things:

- The phone can send and receive calls when it is not casting.

- The devices in question include both Samsung devices: Samsung's Galaxy & Tizen Smart TV.

If it turns out that this is something that is well known and phones simply are not able to send/receive calls while casting to another device then ... well... dang.

I just assumed that such a possibility is incredibly unlikely in this day and age ... but I do always say assuming can be dangerous... 😞

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Are you casting or screen mirroring? Who is your carrier? Is VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling turned on?

What kind of Galaxy phone do you have? Is the software up to date?

View solution in context

6 Replies
Solution
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Are you casting or screen mirroring? Who is your carrier? Is VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling turned on?

What kind of Galaxy phone do you have? Is the software up to date?

View solution in context

KyrieKaze
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Hmm last try to reply didn’t work apparently? Website freaked out and made me log in again lol 

ANYWAYS.

ideally we would like to be able to receive and send calls while either casting or screen mirroring. 

As for WiFi calling... it is actually off. When I was going through the settings I didn’t think they would need it. Could turning that on fix it? I’m going to try later but yeah 😋

As for the Galaxy: It’s the current model S I think? & it should be up to date 

thanks for your reply, fingers crossed the WiFi calling thing fixes it 

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Can you please go to settings about phone and provide me with your model number?

Are you using the smart view setting in the pull down menu?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
KyrieKaze
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

It’s not my phone so unfortunately no, but I’m pretty sure it’s a Galaxy S2x.

I showed them how to use smart view, but I doubt they will use it since it seems to require the phone screen remains on.

We also tried to replicate the error using Samsung’s SmartThings app and Google Home/Chromecast.

I still haven’t had a chance to try with wifi calling on but I will update once I do.

0 Likes
KyrieKaze
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

The problem was fixed as soon as WiFi calling was enabled! 

Thank you moderator Gill for your help. I know my rambling wasn’t very helpful but it appears you still had, at the very least, a vague idea of what I was trying to say so I again thank you 

It's funny though because I actually considered setting up  the WiFi calling feature but, for whatever raisin, I was adamant that it was an unnecessary feature to have enabled  clearly I was wrong.

TLDR

If you have voice (maybe even video) calling issues try checking if you have WiFi calling enabled 

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

An Accepted Solution has been marked, and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. We understand the solution marked may not be a solution for everyone, If you have a separate concern or question, feel free to Private message a moderator or post a new thread with additional details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/1/21, will be removed in order to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find needed content. Remember that if you do make a new post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring. Thank you for being part of the community!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes