JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Chat room background

(Topic created: 09-17-2023 05:55 PM)
xkatchy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

For the last few weeks my Samsung Messages will not keep the background on my texts/chat rooms. It varies as to how long it stays, a few minutes, hours, or a day. It started *before* I did the last update, and has continued despite the update (currently updated to software G996USQU8EWH6 on 9/6/23). I can't find Messages in Play store or Galaxy store to undo any updates, and the only way to set the background is in a text thread and "apply to all chat rooms." I've never had an issue with this prior on the phone and I've had it for a few years now. I reset my network settings and all setting. I also tried doing an APK mirror I found in another thread but wasn't able to apply it once downloaded. I'm on Verizon and phone is not unlocked. I'd like to avoid a factory reset. Is anyone else experiencing this issue or have you found a fix?

12 Replies
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

I think you open the Chad and tap teh 3 dot menu in the upper right and then Customise Chat Rooms.   Then select the background and just go back and don't tap Customize all chat rooms.  It should just be that chat room that keeps that background. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 6 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch7Ultra(VZW),Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV
0 Likes
xkatchy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

I'm trying to have the same background stay for ALL my chats though. It was never an issue until recently that it started disappearing. I'd like to not have to change each message thread I have individually.

0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Galaxy S21

So are you saying that applying it to all chats doesn't stick? Seems like doing that once should work. 

Have you cleared the app cache? 

You can also clear the app data which will force you to set it up again as new.  As long as your texts are backed up you should get them all back... with Verizon it happens automatically for me like the Verizon server is repopulating the messages. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 6 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch7Ultra(VZW),Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV
0 Likes
xkatchy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

No it does not stick. Within 5-10 minutes the background is changed back to white. I just did an app data reset about half an hour ago and it downloaded all my messages after. I set the background. And now it's changed already.

0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Galaxy S21
If you have't yet, boot to Safe Mode and try it. Something is resetting it

Bill
---
0 Likes
xkatchy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

What would I look for once I'm in safe mode? I've never done that before and unsure how I'd see what the issue is.

0 Likes
Solution
bill-e
Options
Galaxy S21

Boot to Safe Mode.  Set your chat background and see if it acts as it's supposed to.   If the problem is gone it would indicate that some app that you installed is causing that.

Bill
---
bill-e
Options
Galaxy S21

Sorry, I was out.  Here's how you boot to Safe Mode

1. Pull down the top menu and press the Power icon so that the Power Off and Restart icons appear

2. Press and Hold the Power Off icon until the green Safe Mode icon appear

3. Tap the Safe Mode icon and the phone will reboot into Safe Mode

4.  To exit Safe Mode,  just reboot. (you may have to take it off airplane mode when it restarts 

Bill
---
0 Likes
xkatchy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you so much. I was able to do it and removed a few apps. Knock on wood, just waiting to see if it all cleared up.

0 Likes