Original topic:

Custom Ringtones and Notifications Sound Files Disappearing

(Topic created: 08-04-2021 09:12 AM)
userxDCmSZCRJA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I have downloaded some clips that I've often used for notification sounds and ringtones. They keep getting deleted automatically from my S21, twice now. They will work for awhile then a few days or a week later they're gone. I don't mean just not working when someone calls, I mean the file is no longer in the folder or anywhere else on my device. I am deeply troubled that files are just disappearing from my device. Has anyone else had this issue and figured out what is going on?

I am storing them in the Internal Storage>Ringtones and >Notifications respectively. Same place I always have on my Samsung phones.

13 Replies
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

I store mine in Downloads and they have been there since January.  Perhaps try that as maybe something cleans up the folders you've selected.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
userxDCmSZCRJA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you for sharing that. I'll try a different location and see if that changes things.

0 Likes
Robbl007
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
hello
0 Likes
Rogue74
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Check ur files lol
0 Likes
mcdonsco
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
No, this is a thing. My S21U Ultra keeps doing this and I SPECIFICALLY download my custom notification sounds and ringer sounds to the notifications and ringtones folders on the phone. They'll work for a week, or a month, then just all of a sudden they're all gone. Download them all again, rinse and repeat. I also have a few other phones like a fold3 and this DOES NOT happen on those phones that are Samsung phones running almost the same software. This is something SPECIFIC to the galaxy s21's.
SamsungQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21

I can see how this issue can be problematic. I would recommend that you make sure your phone is up to date. I would also recommend that you try clearing the cache partition on your phone. Here are the steps. 

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Side key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release both keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message may show briefly before the Android Recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight Wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Side key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight Yes, then press the Side key to select.
  8. When the process is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Side key to restart the device.
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@mcdonsco Did you ever try just putting them in the download directory as I mentioned back in March and picking them from there?  Mine haven't moved since January.

Downloads folder may not be where you'd like them to be but better than fighting with the problem.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes
userpbPskTF0Z8
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

This is NOT a solution.  If anything, files in downloads are more temporary in nature than something specifically placed under ringtones.  I might almost expect the Samsung OS to offer a hint that files could be cleaned up from downloads, but I would NEVER in a thousand years think that any competent software producer would think that deleting PERSONAL files out of directory like "ringtones" would be acceptable at any level.

This needs to be solved!  At this point, what assurance do we have that purchased music or even movies are not randomly getting deleted out of our phones?  Even if it is a "cleanup" process, this should NEVER occur without the express permission/consent of the owner.  Somebody could lose thousands of dollars of media if this happens to music or movies!  I don't constantly check if I still have all my multimedia, but at this point I don't trust the Samsung OS at all with my data!  I am seriously considering getting a different phone from a different manufacturer because this is quite honestly completely unacceptable and MUST GET ELEVATED to the highest level of concern within Samsung's list of know problems!!!

0 Likes
Samsung_7UJF3Cs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I've got the same issue with my Note 20 Ultra, so you're not alone.  Downloaded the same set of notifications many, many times.  I think I tried a different folder, but then the notification tones didn't show up when I was attempting to choose a custom notification.  Oddly enough notification tones from my Ring doorbell in the Notifications folder are left alone.  I'll try that again as the person above suggested, and leave them in Downloads.  Wish me luck.

0 Likes