Original topic:

DON'T BUY S21 Series Phones if you want use it outside US

(Topic created: 11-25-2021 05:49 AM)
aps99
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21

Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Unlocked phone which I bought from US. I enrolled to One UI 4 beta in US.  The software had been trouble free for me until I had to move back to India.

My carrier in India is Airtel which has good LTE coverage in my hometown. It supports VoLTE and WiFi calling as well. Since I moved to India, VoLTE or WiFi calling is not working for me. I rolled back to One UI 3.1 using Smart Switch and VoLTE and WiFi calling started working again. But, since I was already enrolled into One UI 4 beta, I got upgraded to the beta version again and VoLTE and WiFi calling stopped working. Interestingly, I used my Mint mobile sim card which I used in US and VoLTE and WiFi calling work with this card.

I contacted @USBetaModerator and he deregistered me from One UI 4 beta. I was able to downgrade to OneUI 3.1 again using Smart Switch. I was so relieved seeing VoLTE and WiFi calling working again.

Today, One UI 4 stable version was rolled out. I upgraded to this G998U1UEU4BUK7 version. To my frustration, VoLTE and WiFi calling stopped working again. This means that anyone who has a Samsung S21 series phone (or maybe any Samsung phone) with OneUI 4 will have the same problem. You won't be able to use it outside US.

I am assuming the network auto switch feature which Samsung introduced with One UI 4 is causing this issue. I had been trying to get some help from the Samsung team, but none has been able to help so far.

@sr14 is another user who is facing the exact same issue. 

@USBetaModerator @Samsungteam If you have a solution for this issue, let us know. Or at least advise the customers who plan to use their phones outside US not to upgrade to One UI 4.

Attaching the screenshots for everyone's reference. As you can see, in One UI 4, "IMS Registration" status is shown as "Not Registered" and "Voice over LTE" toggle is "OFF". In One UI 3.1, "IMS Registration" status is "Registered" and "Voice over LTE" toggle is "ON".

Users outside US: Please don't install OneUI 4 until this issue is fixed.

Thanks,

APSOneUI 3.1 (VoLTE toggle is ON)OneUI 3.1 (VoLTE toggle is ON)OneUI 3.1 (IMS Registered)OneUI 3.1 (IMS Registered)OneUI 4.0 (VoLTE toggle is OFF)OneUI 4.0 (VoLTE toggle is OFF)OneUI 4.0 (IMS Not Registered)OneUI 4.0 (IMS Not Registered)

159 Replies
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21
Try installing Google carrier services and then reboot your phone
0 Likes
aps99
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21

I installed Google Carrier Services (version 86.0.410011749-carrierservices_20211115_02_RC00) from Play Store and rebooted the phone. Still it doesn't work.

0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21
Try completely resetting the network settings,
0 Likes
badnc
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
Or reset your network settings
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21
I agree 👍
0 Likes
aps99
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21

I reset network settings at least 3 times while I was in OneUI 4 beta and it didn't help.

Anyways, I reset network settings again and VoLTE and WiFi calling still don't work.

0 Likes
aps99
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21

And for everyone's information, I factory reset my phone while in One UI 4 beta. Started everything fresh. Still VoLTE and WiFi were not working.

I get LTE. But, voice calls get connected to 2G network. Mobile data and calls won't work together.

To some relief, I am not using a Jio sim. Jio has only 4G coverage and doesn't have 2G support. @sr14 has Jio sim and his phone is more like a paperweight to him.

0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21
I am not sure why this is happening but, it seems that it is the samsung auto network switch feature
0 Likes
aps99
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21

Definitely. But, it's been 2+ months since the first beta was out. I expected better from Samsung. They shouldn't have released the final version before the issue was fixed.

I am pretty sure that many S21 series owners who bought phone from US who are currently outside US will be facing the same issue now (now that OneUI 4 is officially released) and wondering what's going on.