JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Feature Request for S21/One UI, Screen Wake for Notifications

(Topic created: 04-14-2021 04:20 AM)
userehEWqd3O4J
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Edit: I accidentally marked this as solved when another member offered a possible solution but unfortunately I still can’t get it working.

Original Post:
I would love to see a built in option to have my screen wake for notifications. I see that for some reason, a good amount of people seem to be requesting the opposite of what I want to be a feature on One UI for the S21 series. Coming from iOS, I am used to my phone screen waking briefly when I receive a notification, as this is a default setting. 

To me, this is an awesome feature because it allows me to quickly look at my screen, without having to interact with it, and see what notification I just received. Because of my job, I always keep my phone on vibrate only and it doesn't make sense to switch back and forth so it can ring after work hours, since I may forget to switch back to vibrate and my phone might start going off while I'm in an important call or meeting. 

I also have a Galaxy Watch 3, and I was surprised to see that in the settings, there is an included option to "turn on the watch screen when  Notifications are received." This only helps me when I am wearing the watch so when I don't have it on, I have to constantly check to see if I missed any notifications. If the phone is near me, I sometimes don't hear/feel it vibrate, but I'd the screen turns on, it immediately gets my attention. 

To note, I mostly use Whatsapp for messaging and to my knowledge, the Messages app is the only one that wakes the screen when messages come in. 

If this setting can be enabled for the watch and for messages, why not have it as an option for the phone itself? 

It is clear that Samsung is trying to capture a portion of the iOS market and it will only help them more to have some features that people coming from iOS are accustomed to. Even if it is only enabled in vibrate mode, that would already be huge for people that are used to having this feature on their iOS devices.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Options
Galaxy S21
That feature already exists in settings > notifications > brief pop up settings > show even while screen is off

Screenshot_20210414-151240_One UI Home_6420.jpg

View solution in context

3 Replies
Solution
Options
Galaxy S21
That feature already exists in settings > notifications > brief pop up settings > show even while screen is off

Screenshot_20210414-151240_One UI Home_6420.jpg

userehEWqd3O4J
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you for replying! So I just tested it out by sending myself an email from another device and it still doesn’t work. I even restarted the phone after enabling the setting. 

The phone vibrates but the screen doesn’t actually turn on. When I tap to wake the screen I can see that the notification is there.

I hastily marked this as solved before testing, is there anyway to undo that? 

0 Likes
userUJ3BrA7zJg
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I was also looking to have notifications wake the screen when off. I tried the brief pop up settings > show even while screen is off, and it worked for me. When the screen is off and bubble notification pops up at the top of the screen for a couple seconds.

0 Likes