Original topic:

Galaxy S21 5G does not make any notification sounds

(Topic created: 12-01-2023 02:36 PM)
iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I am reposting this as a new question because my original post had a response marked as a solution and was locked.  The proposed solution (resetting network connections) did not fix the problem on my Galaxy S21 5G) and it's still a serious inconvenience for me.

Copying the original post: 

In the last 24 hours, my phone (Galaxy S21 5G) has stopped making notification sounds.  I get the notifications, and it vibrates briefly, but there are no sounds with the notification.  I've checked all the obvious things including: 

• Verified the phone is not on mute or vibrate, and the volume is up to max on Ringtone, Media, Notifications, and System
  • Checked that there are no App settings that mute or lower the volume
  • Do Not Disturb is not on
  • Separate app sound is off
  • I'm updated to the latest Android version (Software version = G991U1UES8EWG3)
  • I've restarted the phone
  • I've reset all the Settings to default
  • I've cleared the cache and data for the app I need most (Opsgenie)
  • The speakers on the phone work (media sounds play)

Another odd thing is that when I go to Settings > Sounds and vibration > Notifications where you can select the sound, nothing plays when I select different sounds. It does work on Settings > Sounds and Vibrations > Ringtone.  I've restarted the phone in Safe Mode, and this behavior is unchanged.

When I go to Volume settings, and adjust the volume on the different types of sound, Ringtone and Media always play when the volume slider is adjusted.  Notifications will play once, if I change it's volume after Ringtone or Media, but then stop for all future adjustments until I adjust Ringtone or Media again.  System never makes any sound.

I'm specifically concerned about the app Opsgenie, since I need to hear on-call alerts for work, but none of the app notifications are making any sounds.

53 Replies
iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you - my phone doesn't make any notification sounds, from Opsgenie or any other app, but I've checked the suggestions on your link and they don't apply (I never have my phone on silent, and Opsgenie has the correct permissions).  

As several other users reported identical behavior on my original post, (without the Opsgenie involvement), I don't think it's actually involved.

I do think something in the System sounds is breaking the Notification sounds.  When I go to the Volume panel, where you can change the volume on Ringtone, Media, Notifications, and System individually, and I change the slider on Ringtone or Media and then change the Notifications slider, it will make a sound (as it should).  But if I move the System slider, and then the Notifications slider, it won't make any noise, and doesn't until Ringtone or Media is moved again.  This is consistent with another users experience on the original ticket that sometimes when they were watching media on the phone, they would hear a notification sound in the middle of it, but then it would later stop working.

0 Likes
OoYORIoO
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
@iisai Please check:

1. Tap "Settings"
2. Tap "Sound's & Vibration"
3. Tap "Volume"
4. Upper Right Corner Tap The Three Dots
5. Open "Media Volume Limit"
6. Check to see if "Media Volume Limit" Slider is set to ON/OFF

If it's turned on and the "Custom Volume Limit" Slider is turned all the way down. You won't get sound.

***Unless you're talking about the "Sound Ticks" you should hear when you move the slider up or down?***

Be sure Touch Interactions slider is turned ON

Please also change the Sound Profile on your phone:

1. Tap Settings
2. Tap "Sound's and Vibration"
3. Tap "System Sound"
4. Tap "System Sound Theme"
5. Change the "System Sound Theme"
6. "Galaxy" is selected as my "System Sound Theme"

Also try this:

1. Tap "Settings"
2. Tap "Sound's and Vibration"
3. Tap "Notification Sound"
4. Check the "Notification and Sound Volume" Slider is turned UP
iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for these - 

Media Volume Limit was OFF (and no... when I adjust the Ringtone or Media sliders, I hear a preview of the sound they make at that new Volume.  I don't hear anything when moving the Notification slider, unless I've just previously moved Ringtone or Media.  Nothing causes the System slider to make any noise)

Touch Interactions slider was off - I've turned it on, with no behavior change.

I also had Galaxy as my System Sound theme.

The slider on the Notification slider in Settings > Sounds and Vibration was already all the way up.

0 Likes
OoYORIoO
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
Can you please tell me the Wireless Carrier you are on?

"Nothing causes the System slider to make any noise"

The only sound I get moving the "System Sound" Slider is the "Sound Ticks"

I have the Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus on T-Mobile no issues. Running Android 14 ONE UI 6 - No Issues

I also have the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus Running Android 13 ONE UI 5.1.1 - No Issues

I've tried replicating the issue you mentioned. I just couldn't replicate it.

There has to be a bug in your Android OS with your Carrier's Variant.

I've exhausted what potential fixes that would fix your issue. Thank you for using the Samsung Member's Community and thank you for your question regarding your Samsung Galaxy S21 5G. Thank you!
iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm on Ting - thank you for your attention on this.
OoYORIoO
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
No problem! This is now a widespread issue being reported online by many users now.
0 Likes
iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
My carrier is Ting Mobile... I'm pretty sure it's using T-Mobiles network.
0 Likes
OoYORIoO
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
This post is related to your post:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S21/notification-issue/td-p/2740508?src=ShareByUserCM

I've cross posted this to the other users post Both are Samsung Galaxy S21 Series with the same issues
OoYORIoO
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
@usernmsdvn97en__Admin
@VerbumVeritum
@iisai
@abroussard

There are currently two users reporting the same issue this user is experiencing. Please assist them in finding a solution through means you have available that we users don't have access to. If possible. Thank you!

This Post:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S21/notification-issue/td-p/2740508?src=ShareByUserCM

This Post:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S21/Phone-does-not-make-any-notification-sounds/td-p/2740...

I'm currently working with the two users to see if they are on the same Wireless Carrier. So we can see if there's a direct Correlation between the two users at this time

One user reports being on AT&T Wireless Carrier
I'm currently awaiting a response from the other user to see what Wireless Carrier they are on

Update: The other user is on TING Mobile