Original topic:

Galaxy S21 5G does not make any notification sounds

(Topic created: 12-01-2023 05:43 PM)
iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I am reposting this as a new question because my original post had a response marked as a solution and was locked.  The proposed solution (resetting network connections) did not fix the problem on my Galaxy S21 5G) and it's still a serious inconvenience for me.

Copying the original post: 

In the last 24 hours, my phone (Galaxy S21 5G) has stopped making notification sounds.  I get the notifications, and it vibrates briefly, but there are no sounds with the notification.  I've checked all the obvious things including: 

• Verified the phone is not on mute or vibrate, and the volume is up to max on Ringtone, Media, Notifications, and System
  • Checked that there are no App settings that mute or lower the volume
  • Do Not Disturb is not on
  • Separate app sound is off
  • I'm updated to the latest Android version (Software version = G991U1UES8EWG3)
  • I've restarted the phone
  • I've reset all the Settings to default
  • I've cleared the cache and data for the app I need most (Opsgenie)
  • The speakers on the phone work (media sounds play)

Another odd thing is that when I go to Settings > Sounds and vibration > Notifications where you can select the sound, nothing plays when I select different sounds. It does work on Settings > Sounds and Vibrations > Ringtone.  I've restarted the phone in Safe Mode, and this behavior is unchanged.

When I go to Volume settings, and adjust the volume on the different types of sound, Ringtone and Media always play when the volume slider is adjusted.  Notifications will play once, if I change it's volume after Ringtone or Media, but then stop for all future adjustments until I adjust Ringtone or Media again.  System never makes any sound.

I'm specifically concerned about the app Opsgenie, since I need to hear on-call alerts for work, but none of the app notifications are making any sounds.

abroussard
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
starting yesterday my phone has been tripping. when I have my phone call on speaker I can barely hear a thing(even though the volume is turned all the way up). my notifications don't make sounds, unless I'm watching any kind of video with sound. I've tried restarting and it's not working. does anyone have any tips?

ETA: I'm now seeing this is a problem multiple people are having. if anyone has found a solution, help ya girl out
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21
It seems like there might be a software issue affecting your phone's audio. You could try checking for software updates, clearing cache, or even a factory reset if the problem persists. If others are experiencing the same issue, it might be a widespread problem that requires a system update or a fix from the manufacturer. Check online forums or the official support channels for your device for any reported solutions.
OoYORIoO
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
This post is related to this users post:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S21/Phone-does-not-make-any-notification-sounds/td-p/2740...

I've cross posted this to the other users post Both are Samsung Galaxy S21 Series with the same issues
OoYORIoO
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
@abroussard Please try the suggestions I gave on the other users post. None worked for him. One or more may work for you. It's unlikely if my theory is correct.

Thank you for posting. I have a feeling this issue is widespread and more users are going to be posting about it.

I think it's from the latest Security Update you guy's just got
0 Likes
abroussard
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
yea I've tried those things and nothing is working. I did just see an article stating that the latest software update is causing alot of issues, one being notifications.
OoYORIoO
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
Please Direct Message "Samsung_Admin" with a direct message. Please reference your post and the other users post.
OoYORIoO
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
Did any of these work for you?
0 Likes
abroussard
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
no they did not
OoYORIoO
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
Thank you for your clarification on this. Also what is your Wireless Carrier?

I'm working with the other user to see if you two are on the same Wireless Carrier
0 Likes