Original topic:

Galaxy S21+ Group Text Messaging Problems

(Topic created: 06-25-2022 08:17 AM)
userv6oFItLGlz
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I switched to the Galaxy S21+ last year when they came out and have been having group text messaging problems the entire year. I'm on Verizon's network, so it's not a service issue (I've directly compared it to others on my plan with Google Pixel phones and OnePlus, and they are all working fine when standing right next to me).

The messages will all come in individually and will just sit with a spinning blue icon until they expire and I never get the updates. It doesn't matter if they are android or iphone users, all messages will react the same way. 

The issue happens in both the united states and when traveling. I've tried both wifi connections and data. My phone is completely updated.

I've enabled all the chat settings, auto download even when roaming, nothing helps. I end up having to get everyone to switch to WhatsApp (which works perfectly, no matter where I'm at).

My old Samsung phones never had this issue, only when I switched to the 21 Plus which forces 5G on the Verizon locked version. I'm on the verge of switching phones but I've been a brand loyalist for years so this is a big deal for me.

Questions : Is this a Samsung issue/Verizon issue/Samsung ON Verizon issue/or overall to this phone? 

12 Replies
DanG92263
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
Reset network settings.

Goto Settings
Type in settings search 'reset'
Tap 'Reset network settings'
0 Likes
usergXCjlrgjUn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I am having the same issue & the reset is only temporary fix. 

0 Likes
DanG92263
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
I understand that this is a bug affecting some s21 and s22 phones since the June update. Hopefully
Samsung will push out a patch soon.

Since text messaging is a carrier function, you may wish to contact them about the issue as they may have to make an adjustment on their end to restore texting.
0 Likes
usergXCjlrgjUn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
It's been well before that update. It's not a carrier issue as it's multiple carriers (in this thread) & my wife who has an S 21 is not experiencing this issue on the same carrier. It also happens on & off network.
0 Likes
DanG92263
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
I agree that it is a software issue, on multiple carriers; that said, even off network (text is being sent via wi-fi) your carrier handles the message, which is why every phone has an email address (phonenumber@carrier.com) and the reason the get we all get spam text from an email addresses.

https://hurt911.org/investigation/sms-text-message-address
0 Likes
DanG92263
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
That's face it, SMS and MMS are 1980s and 2000, respectively, technology that is breaking down and needs to be updated to RCS technology worldwide. Carriers and phone makers both play a huge part in making that happen.
0 Likes
usergXCjlrgjUn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I have an S21 Ultra that is expereincing this as well. We have changed the SIM, reset network settings multiple times & nothing seems to work. 

I would love to have a solution for this soon as it's really inconvenient to not get texts in a timely or logical manner. 

0 Likes
userRIrLTsLNl9
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I've also noticed an issue with group texts. For some reason I can't respond if there are over 10 recipients when this wasn't an issue months ago. Not sure when this change happened since I don't frequently participate in these large group texts/chats.

0 Likes
DanG92263
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
Samsung Messages has always been limited to groups of ten recipients or less.
0 Likes