Original topic:

Galaxy S21 Ultra Dropping Connection To Cellular Network

(Topic created on: 3/1/21 9:06 PM)
Andyw2100
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I've been banging my head against the wall with this issue for a while now. I have contacted both Samsung and Verizon but so far no luck in resolving the issue. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

My S21 Ultra on Verizon is constantly switching between LTE and LTE+. This wouldn't be an issue were it not for the fact that apparently a great deal of the time it actually has no connection at all. This manifests itself with:

1) Text messages that fail to send, or indicate they failed to send when they actually were sent.
2) Incoming calls going directly to voicemail.
3) Outgoing calls that can't be placed unless I toggle Airplane Mode on and then off. (Though as it turns out, sometimes the failed attempts do ring on the recipients phone.)

At some of these times I may see a message along the lines of "Sim Card Not Present." And yes--the SIM card has already been replaced.

3) isn't much of an issue, as I have complete control over that. But 1) and 2) are both really annoying.

I made a screen capture video for a Verizon tech who is trying to help. In 40 seconds my phone switched between LTE and LTE+ six times.

A work-around that seems to be helping is using the "Samsung Band Selection" app to pick a network. I've done that all day today and have not had issues, though I also have not traveled anywhere. I fear this is not a great solution, though, as I don't think I'll be able to use it when moving around.

Is anyone else having experiences like these with the S21 Ultra? If so, are you also on Verizon?

Thanks!

13 Replies
latoplano_6_625
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21

when did it start to happen? i think option for you is to get a warranty replacement from Verizon, or submit this issue on samsung members

i have s21 with verizon but never experienced any issue you mentioned.

0 Likes
Andyw2100
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks!

Initially I was using my old 4G SIM. I'm not sure if it happened much then, but I later got a 5G SIM, and it definitely was happening once I had the 5G SIM installed. We switched that SIM, but the problem did not go away.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Grma
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm still using my 4g sim on Verizon ... not seeing that issue at all...
question for you.. are you in a 5g city or town?? since i am not.. and really not anywhere near one.. I kept my old sim from my 10+

I'm honestly thinking some of these issues people are having is because they have a 5g sim and not in a 5g area... sure it's backwards compatible however... I have my doubts ...

then I will add.. somewhere I read just the headline of a story...Verizon has been telling it's customers to turn off 5g on their phones for some reason... I don't know why .. and haven't had the chance to go back and find the story to find out why.. but.. I'm sticking with my 4g sim for now
0 Likes
Andyw2100
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

That's an interesting idea. I will see about getting a 4G SIM and trying that.

I spend time in two areas. One definitely does not have 5G. The other city supposedly does, but I think it doesn't really reach to where I stay when I am there.

I don't think there really is a native way to turn off 5G, so I'm not sure how Verizon thinks people could accomplish that. The network selector app I am using does that when I select a non-5G network, but it's not possible to do this from within settings, as there is only one Verizon network that shows as available in settings. (I have heard that other carriers do have other network options available.)

Thanks for that suggestion!

user95MHI3r5wp
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Hello,

I too have started to experience this issue with my 21 Ultra.  I am a new customer to Verizon and purchased the phone at a Verizon Corporate Store at the beginning of February.  I have a 5G sim card and I started to have issues about two weeks ago where I would notice my phone would momentarily have no service then bounce back to either 5G or LTE.  Today has been the worst where it would happen once or twice per hour.  Texts would fail and one time I was on the phone and it dropped the call (even though I have wifi-calling enabled) and the first time I saw the message "Sim Card Not Present" this evening.

Have a good day.

Andyw2100
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Glad to hear I am not alone! Assuming Verizon / Samsung eventually figure out that there are a lot of us with this problem, they'll probably get it fixed.

I have new SIM cards on the way to me--both 5G and 4G. I'm going to try the 5G first, which will be my third 5G SIM card in this phone. Assuming it does not make a difference I will try the 4G card, and just live with 4G speeds for a while if that solves the problem. If so, I'm hoping that by the time the 5G networks are more built out the problems will be resolved and I'll be able to use a 5G card.

My suggestion to you, until you can try a 4G card if that does work for me, is to download a couple of apps. You can get LTE Discovery or Cell Mapper. Both will show what network you are connected to. Then use the Samsung Band Selection app to lock your phone to whatever LTE network the other app showed you were connecting to. I've been doing this for a couple of days now, with none of the issues I had been experiencing. Unfortunately I'm also locked to slower networks, but I'm home, where I have WIFI anyway, so it's not an issue.

Good luck!

0 Likes
Scarface43809
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm having the same issue even replaced my phone. I'm almost positive that the issue is the phone isn't properly switching between 5G and LTE therefore killing the service. if you turn off 5G ( which is stupid bcuz we have 5G phones) the problem will stop.
0 Likes
Scarface43809
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm using a new phone(s21 ultra) 2 days old and new sim and still having issues with service dropping. mostly at places where I'm indoors seems the building or whatever is interfering with my service as far as 5G goes. again I drop it to 4G no more problems
I've been missing calls an texts and even with wifi calling on its killing the service so it's not helping at all.
0 Likes