JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How to turn off rear camera auto-focus on Galaxy S21 5G

(Topic created: 04-17-2021 04:06 PM)
useraz1EQgy7an
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

How do I turn off the rear camera auto-focus on my Galaxy S21 5G? I can only either focus on the foreground or background, which is a little bothersome. Turning off scene optimizer doesn't have any effect.

This is my first time owning an Android phone (I'm coming from Apple) so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the Android interface. Any help would be appreciated!

Focus on background:

bg pic.jpg

Focus on foreground:

fg pic.jpg

6 Replies
andyy98
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
Welcome to Android! I'd best say to try the manual camera mode for more manual use on the focus. Try going into your camera settings which are in the camera app and there may be a auto-focus option
0 Likes
useraz1EQgy7an
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for the reply! When I go to the camera settings, there's no auto-focus option, though. The modes tray includes AR Doodle, Food, Panorama, etc, but no manual mode.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21
That's not auto blur, the shallow depth of field is the characteristic of a larger camera sensor with a wide aperture. If you want more uniform sharpness, use 0.9x zoom. 0.6x is ultra wide, so 0.9x is ultra wide cropped in.
0 Likes
useraz1EQgy7an
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

It would probably be better to phrase it as auto-focus (changed it in the post). I also changed the photos to ones that make the auto-focus more clear— if there is a clear foreground and background, it only focuses on one of the two, whether I try to manually focus by tapping the screen or not. It seems to me like a software thing.

0 Likes
Solution
Options
Galaxy S21
Well yeah, only one can be in focus at the same time. Think of it like your eye. If you hold your finger to your face, you can only focus on either the finger or the background. You can't focus on both your finger and the background at the same time, that's physics.

Here, have a read. This article talks about DSLRs, but it's the same concept. Older iPhones have smaller sensors. The 12 Pro Max has the same sensor size as the S21 so it'll have the same focus depth of field. https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/the-bokeh-effect-how-sensor-size-affects-background-blur/amp/
useraz1EQgy7an
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Oh, that makes sense! I guess I never really noticed that only one thing could be in focus on my old iPhone too (I also knew nothing about cameras). Thanks for the info!

0 Likes