Original topic:

Interface Issue with Pattern Lock on first boot

(Topic created: 07-21-2022 10:36 PM)
userZZvTX5Utjq
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I don't perfectly recall if this was what happened, so maybe double check just in case.

When booting the phone for the first time, the user may enter a pattern lock to later use to unlock the phone.  This is where the issue becomes possible: the user is allowed to direct the pattern indicator between dots, not triggering dots between them.  When entering the pattern to unlock the phone normally, the interface forces these in-between dots to be registered in the pattern, making it possible to lock oneself out of their phone because the interface prevents them from entering the correct pattern, ultimately resulting in access via pin, password, or (in my case) a forced reset.

Elaboration: Let the user select the very middle dot (2, 2).  Next, select the top right dot - (3, 3).  Finally, have the user navigate to the top left dot through the middle dot, such that the top middle dot is not intersected.  In the first-time setup pattern lock creation interface, this pattern is allowed, and the top middle dot is ignored.  In normal operation, the top middle dot is forced to be selected, resulting in a lock out.  I believe it similarly lets the user skip the middle dot when starting from a corner and going to the far middle dot, e.g. top left (1,3) to middle right (3,2).

Hopefully this is just a false alarm from me forgetting my passcode within a few minutes of entering it and simultaneously misremembered the pattern entry step.

3 Replies
sngmAsusLnk
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Having trouble with my Samsung also
0 Likes
userZZvTX5Utjq
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

If you have this problem you're probably going to need to hard restart your phone, unless maybe you can somehow log in with your google account? 🤔  worth looking into, but I skipped to resetting it because it was the first time using the phone (also hadn't ported my apps and later decided i wanted them).
To reset it, hard turn it off by holding down sound and wake for about 15 seconds.  when booting it back up, hold sound up and wake for another 15 seconds or until it shows the samsung logo (this actually took me a few tries, and about 30 seconds i think).  it'll then show a scary terminal-looking screen, which will have a factory reset option, along with scary warnings.  once you reset it you'll need your google account info to use the phone again.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

issues such as this please submit an report to SSM
submit an error report on SSM after replicating the issue
Samsung Members app > Get help > Send feedback > Error reports

0 Likes