JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Jackpocket Lottery app installed without my knowledge.

(Topic created: 03-06-2023 01:42 AM)
HouseKitti
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I did not install this app. I was checking updates in the Samsung store when I noticed this app was installed on my phone Jan 30th. It was also unistalled without my knowledge. I was never even aware it was on my phone. The permissions of this app are just disgusting. They are alot of the same permissions Spyware apps exploit. I mean I'll call it what it is malware. What data did this dev steal of mine? What did they do to phone? I doubt I will ever know. 

Jackpocket is big enough that Samsung has to be aware of this? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Grendeth9495
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
The phone might be unlocked, but you had to choose a carrier sim and plan at one point. So unless you're rocking that sucker with no Sim and just wifi, I'd still insist that's the root cause. Your APN settings for your data would download a configuration file which would likely cause some of these symptoms. However, if you're still not convinced, the only other thing would be malware, as I do not believe by default Samsung includes a recommended app auto-download feature. I have seen a pop-up on the Samsung store app to install apps, so maybe you might have clicked that without noticing?

View solution in context

8 Replies
Meema237
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
The same thing happened to me. I immediately deleted it, but never discovered where it came from.😡
Grendeth9495
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
I believe this might be due to your carrier. For example, ATT will on occasion install applications after an OTA Software update. Is it disgusting? Yes. Is it legal? Yes, because you agreed to their terms and services. If it's that bad for you, I'd recommend moving to prepaid, like Boost mobile, Cricket, or Tracfone (which is actually on Verizons network, so pretty fast). But yeah, the big carriers are all doing sleezy stuff like that nowadays, sorry.
HouseKitti
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Yes I understand what you are saying, but it can't be my carrier. I own my phone. It is a factory unlocked SM-GN998U1. I do not get any carrier Ota software or any bloatware.
Solution
Grendeth9495
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
The phone might be unlocked, but you had to choose a carrier sim and plan at one point. So unless you're rocking that sucker with no Sim and just wifi, I'd still insist that's the root cause. Your APN settings for your data would download a configuration file which would likely cause some of these symptoms. However, if you're still not convinced, the only other thing would be malware, as I do not believe by default Samsung includes a recommended app auto-download feature. I have seen a pop-up on the Samsung store app to install apps, so maybe you might have clicked that without noticing?
HouseKitti
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
It was notifications.
Grendeth9495
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Sorry if this hasn't been of any help. But I honestly don't know of anything else that would cause this. If you do figure it out and it happens to be something else, do let us know! And report it to Samsung, might be a big breach. Good luck!
HouseKitti
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
You have definitely helped. It never even occurred to me that carrier's could do this. I greatly appreciate the time you took to explain it to me.
enityseeker
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
You could have spyware or imposter email
0 Likes