Original topic:

Last cry from a lifelong Galaxy user before I switch to Iphone

(Topic created: 11-12-2021 04:22 PM)
userCAU6IHJaie
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I tried to find a place to give feedback, but it doesn't look like Samsung has any, I guess I will just post it here. Maybe it will be heard?

Samsung was always the phone that offered freedom to its users in terms of what they could do with their phone. They had expandable storage, changeable, batteries, more flexible software with unlockable bootloaders, cool features like Gear VR and DEX.

Over the years I have been a Galaxy fan boy, and have converted many lifelong apple users because it was a no brainer for some because of the freedom Samsung gave its users; even though Apple had better apps, better graphics, better cameras, better operating experience because of their inhouse software and hardware.

But over time, Samsung has slowly cut out all of the things that made them different from apple; otherwise known as UPS's (unique selling propositions) in marketing terms. And I understand why many of them needed to happen, such as the removable battery and headphone jack.

However the recent removal of the SD card slot may mark the final straw. Without it there just isn't enough to keep Samsung users from the better app support, performance, and 3rd party support of Apple. It seems the Samsung is trying to be like Apple, but when they do that, they will lose, because Apple has been doing it longer and better. 

With advanced high resolution camera's, it simply doesn't make since to have limited, non-expandable memory. A lot of people like me aren't in the city and cell reception isn't reliable, so cloud storage is not an option. But beyond storage space, removable storage is also very important if the phone becomes damaged or corrupted, because files can be saved by simply removing the card.

I get many don't use SD card slots, but including a SD slot doesn't hurt or turn anyone away. But removing it slaps many of Samsung loyal users in the face. The SD card slot is the reason my last 3 phones have been Samsung. I am not saying it needs to be on every device Samsung makes, but at least include it on the Ultra line, I don't mind paying a premium for the features that are important to me.

If the S22 Ultra doesn't have a SD slot, I will try to hold out one more year with my S8+ to see if the the S23 has it. But if the S23 doesn't have it, then users should decide between the Iphone or the Pixel for more pure operation experiences since Samsung has give up everything that made it unique. At that point there really isn't a reason for the Galaxy to exist.

I know there will be some that disagree, but this is my 2 cents. I don't think I am the only one.

13 Replies
MrWilson
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
I also like to have the SD card slot, that's one reason I picked the note 20 ultra. I also enjoy Samsung's phones. I wouldn't call myself a fanboy, and certainly wouldn't if I was rocking a s8+ from nearly 4 ago. Yeah, okay.
0 Likes
DanG92263
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21
The s10+ has an internal 1TB storage and still has an SD card slot. It will continue to receive software updates till 2025, including UI 4.0. I usually upgrade my phone every two years, if not annually, but so far, nothing out there offers anything better than this phone. They still offer it for sale, and at a lower price than what I paid for it. So your comment rings a little hollow for me, as Samsung does offer a great phone with an SD card slot and headphone jack, the s10 Plus.
0 Likes
DENVERSKIER
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
Nope Note20 Ultra way better with FREE S PEN and my S20+ way better except for headphone jack
0 Likes
DanG92263
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21
This article from Swappa says it best for me:

"Should you upgrade your S10+ to the S20+? That mostly depends on whether you have a lower-end S10+ (with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage), in which case you may find the S20+ upgrades worthwhile. But if you have the most decked out Galaxy S10+ model [Which I do] with 12GB of RAM and 1TB of storage (which is pretty rare), the S20+ upgrades could be negligible unless you really care about a slightly faster processor, slightly larger 120Hz display, slightly larger battery, and slightly faster 5G connectivity [Which I don't].

Unfortunately, the Galaxy S20+ removes the headphone jack, so if that’s a feature you loved from the S10+, you may want to hang onto it for a bit longer."

https://swappa.com/blog/should-i-upgrade-from-s10-to-s20/

It also has an SD card slot that will accept 128GB and 512GB cards.
0 Likes
Mrs-Cay
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
Samsung has a USB-C to headphone jack converter
0 Likes
userCAU6IHJaie
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I have gone longer than usual without upgrading because of life situations such as starting a business, having kids and buying a house. And the S8 was an amazing phone, I usually only upgrade when I can get a substantial bump in performance and features.  I was going to upgrade to the S21 until I found out it left out the SD slot. 

Its true I could get and older Samsung phone, and that could still happen if I test the Iphones and don't like them. But I would rather have some of the new camera features, and I am sure Samsung would rather me buy one of their new phones.

I am not trying to change anyone's opinion, I get why others may disagree, this is just my message to Samsung. I wanted to just send it to a feedback email, but they don't seem to provide one. I ask the chat for it and they just kept sending me to one that only pertained to the website, not devices.

If Samsung wants to stop all their unique features and try to be like Iphone, that's their right. They can do want they think is best for them and I wish them luck. I just am losing reasons to stay with them, and never thought I would consider an Iphone.

Do they care about my opinion? Probably not, they are a big company. But I still wanted to share it with them because I have always liked Samsung, and was really hoping they would at least offer the SD slot on the Ultra line for power users. I have never met anyone who said they weren't going to buy a phone because it "had" a SD slot, but I have heard the opposite.

0 Likes
alpha1970
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I don't disagree but they don't care. The only option is to deal with it or move on at some point no phones will have sd support. I'm hanging on to my s20 for a bit longer but I doubt I'll move to iphones I have apple devices and while they work well still not enough for me to go all in on the apple garden. Maybe pixel will be my next upgrade 🤔
0 Likes
Calder-Cay
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
There will not be an SD slot.

Money is made with reduced hardware
Njdan30
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Honestly seems just a little silly to complain about not having an SD card and then mention phones without SD cards, you can always move to another device brand or simply buy a phone with larger internal memory as they do offer different capacity storage. I myself like and prefer the expandable memory as mentioned by another hence the reason I got the note 20 ultra. But there's a lot more features imho on Samsung to make me lean towards buying their phones over the others but that's just me. User preference. I had iPhones and to me I hate em and others phones don't feel as smooth and fluid as Samsung but yet again that's me. Like I said I get you're concerns and agree with some, but I've seen people complain and try making threats over leaving simply because they couldn't join the beta program lol. I hope they continue with the SD cards myself and I hope you find the perfect device/brand that suits you best.