JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Messages merged and contacts are added to threads after switching content S21 Ultra

(Topic created: 02-02-2021 06:00 AM)
smo13
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I just upgraded from s9+ to S21 Ultra using SmartSwitch.  Most of my content came over with no issues, but some of my text threads are merged and some groups have additional members that are not part of the thread...Also, one thread with an individual only shows the images that were part of the conversation - those texts are merged into another thread...I was using Textra on my S9+ but Samsung Messages worked perfectly also.  On my S21 Ultra, no matter which program I use has the same result.

I have backed up and restored using multiple apps and methods (including Smart Switch for PC) and even factory reset to no avail.

Any other suggestions???

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Hey there @smo13, I hope you're doing well. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your messages. I did a few quick searches on Textra and found their guide on message backup and syncing. I know you mentioned that you tried a few different things with no luck.

Here is Textra's guide: https://textra.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/249611-how-to-backup-my-messages

Can you back the messages up from your S9+ using SMS Backup & Restore  and once done, use the same app to restore the messages on your S21 Ultra. The guide from Textra then says "Once all your messages are on your Android stock / system messaging app on your new device. Resync from Textra Settings > About > Resync."

Once done and if everything looks correct, you should be able to switch back to Samsung Messages.

Some things to keep in mind: You'll need to delete the restored messages from your S21 Ultra before doing this as you want to avoid duplicates. Also, you will need to temporarily use Textra on your new device according to their guide. Lastly, to restore the back, you'll of course need to transfer it to the new device after backing up. 

I'm hoping this will work. If it doesn't, I'm thinking you might want to reach out to Textra regarding backup and restore support.

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

View solution in context

4 Replies
Solution
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Hey there @smo13, I hope you're doing well. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your messages. I did a few quick searches on Textra and found their guide on message backup and syncing. I know you mentioned that you tried a few different things with no luck.

Here is Textra's guide: https://textra.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/249611-how-to-backup-my-messages

Can you back the messages up from your S9+ using SMS Backup & Restore  and once done, use the same app to restore the messages on your S21 Ultra. The guide from Textra then says "Once all your messages are on your Android stock / system messaging app on your new device. Resync from Textra Settings > About > Resync."

Once done and if everything looks correct, you should be able to switch back to Samsung Messages.

Some things to keep in mind: You'll need to delete the restored messages from your S21 Ultra before doing this as you want to avoid duplicates. Also, you will need to temporarily use Textra on your new device according to their guide. Lastly, to restore the back, you'll of course need to transfer it to the new device after backing up. 

I'm hoping this will work. If it doesn't, I'm thinking you might want to reach out to Textra regarding backup and restore support.

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
smo13
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for your response.  First, to clarify, I don't want to use Samsung Messages - I never have.  I've always used Textra. And I do know I need to Resync in Textra.

With my issue, I don't think Textra is the problem, especially because the same thing happened when I deleted Textra and had Samsung Messages as my default on my S9+.

I initially used Smart Switch to set up my new phone - it worked going from my S7 to the S9 with Textra as my default so I never expected to have a problem.  When I realized it didn't transfer properly, I manually backed up my messages (from Textra) using SMS Backup and Restore (which I had already been using). I tried restoring those messages after clearing all my data from Textra in the new phone. It still didn't work. 

I went back to my old phone and switched my default messaging app to Samsung Messages. I backed up again and the same thing happened. 

I tried a few more apps and decided that something must have gone wrong in my initial transfer, so I did a factory reset and tried both backing up my S9+ to my PC with Smart Switch and using SMS Backup and Restore.  It made no difference.

I'm also not 100% clear on how to delete old SMS from new phone (all I did was delete apps and data from those apps), but figured the factory reset should have taken care of that.

In the whole process, I did try other apps, and nothing has worked.  My last attempt when I did a 2nd factory reset, I had Samsung Messages as my default.

I'm really at a loss, but on my S9+, both programs have no issues and I'm able to go back and forth between them without the problem recurring. It's only the transferred data that is problematic.  I don't understand what could be different on the S21 Ultra that could be causing this problem.

0 Likes
A_L
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Having the same issue too. I've used Textra since the S7 and transferred to the S9 and S10 with no issues. Transferring to the S21 is the first time I've had messages come up in groups that never existed. Hoping someone finds a solution as my messages still exist on my S10.

0 Likes
smo13
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I never found an answer...I traded in my S9+ so I've given up at this point.  I have my original backup so if it's ever solved I can restore, but at this point I feel like it's less important because I can still search the content of my old messages, they just aren't in the correct places...

I'd be curious to know if anyone figures this out...

0 Likes