Original topic:

Messages will not play custom notification sound

(Topic created: 12-03-2021 06:44 AM)
Members_hcdV2Fs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

My Galaxy S21+ will not allow my messages to play a notification sound that is different from the system default sound.  I have gone to System > Apps > Messages > Notifications > Notification Categories > General notifications > Sound, and selected a unique sound for my messages.  After extensive research in the owner manual, and online, this seems to be the correct place to change this setting.  Despite having a different setting chosen, my phone still plays the system default notification sound when I receive text messages.  I can effectively change the sound by assigning a custom sound to each conversation I have in the messages app, but I should not have to go to that extent to get this app to behave correctly.  Does anyone know how to fix this, or is anyone else having the same issue?

3 Replies
Mrs-Cay
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
No problem here ... have unique sounds for individual contacts too, in addition to different sounds for various Notifications.

For the record, I use Google Messages (not Samsung app)
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

@Members_hcdV2Fs Try doing the same thing again but after backing out.  Clear the messages app from your recents app.  I had to do this for the settings to stay when I changed sounds.

SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21
Go to your default device administrator account and change that setting from there
0 Likes