Original topic:

My photos look grainy and blotchy on my Galaxy S21 Ultra

(Topic created: 09-19-2021 03:03 AM)
Frustrated42
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Why do my photos look grainy and blotchy with my Galaxy S21 Ultra? Like those old "turn yourself into an oil painting" filters. This phone was supposed to have a top of the line camera, but my Galaxy note 8 was WAY better. I'm a photographer. I know how to take pictures and use a camera, so that is not the issue here. 

6 Replies
Options
Galaxy S21
It sounds like you got faulty device with a bad camera module. You may need to return it for repair/replacement.
0 Likes
SamsungRyder
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Hi, I am sorry you are experiencing blurry or grainy photos. When you want to take a picture, your camera should focus on a subject when you touch it on the screen. If Tracking Auto-focus is on, your camera will be locked to that person or item for 3 seconds. Because it is focusing on one thing, it may seem like the camera is not focusing on the entire scene. This can be prevented by turning off Tracking AF. Cleaning the camera's lens will also help. Try this guide to improve Camera focus: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001297/

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Likes
userrivDFv6cDM
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I fully sympathize with your comment. I compared similar pictures with the 21 that I just got 3 days ago with a NOTE 4 (way old)... and the 'blotchy' over-sharpening of the 21 was infuriating to see. It made the Note 4 photo better than the 21. That's unacceptable on such an expensive item.

I will explore this thing for another couple of days. If I can't find a better way to get clean, unprocessed pictures, I will have no choice but to return it. Is this a software issue that can be fixed??
Very frustrating.

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you for reaching out. I can certainly understand how frustrating it can be when a picture doesn't turn out how we expected. I would be happy to look into this further for you. I know this may be a silly question but have you check to make sure there are no thin protective films over the camera area?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Marys3
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I too have the same issue and I chose the untra 21 over the iPhone 12 pro and now I'm regretting it. I'm a professional Journalist and know when a camera is faulty.
0 Likes
Frustrated42
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Right. I'm a photographer. I know it's not user error. Very disappointing.