JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

No mobile data when connected to Wifi for Android Auto

(Topic created: 08-13-2022 02:02 PM)
userUIXodnN9Rh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

To start, I have the option "Switch to mobile data" on....

When I connect to wifi for Andoid Auto wireless, I should still get internet access via mobile data.  But is doesn't work.  

That is also what i understand the option "Switch to mobile data" should do in advanced wifi setting.  

But for some reasons it doesn't work.  A month ago it did work...

When I select an app to always use mobile data, it indeed stays on mobile data.  But that is not really a solution (just a prove, mobile data does work).  

I already have reset all network connections but to no success.  

Any idea how to fix this? 

8 Replies
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

The function of the Switch to Mobile Data option is to switch from WiFi data to Mobile Data when the WiFi Signal is weak.   Like when you leave your house and the WiFi starts to drop off it assures a seamless transition to mobile data, 

I'm not sure how it would act when connected to AA WiFi if the AA WiFi signal is strong.   I would have to experiment to see what's what. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
userUIXodnN9Rh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for the feedback!

The explanation of that option says it would switch to mobile data when the internet connection on the wifi is weak or unstable.  It says nothing about the wifi signal strength itself.  

Also when I connect for the first time to that network it refers to this option to keep internet access via mobile data (at least I think it did).  

0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Galaxy S21

Yea,  that was just my shorthand way of saying the same thing.   So are you not able to stream off the internet while AA is wirelessly connected or is there a different issue?  I know that my phone is able to use mobile data when AA is wirelessly connected and I have that Switch to Mobile Data=OFF. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
userUIXodnN9Rh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

the strange thing is that it used to work a few weeks ago.  

And indeed, there is no internet access by any app when connected to the wifi.  I can force individual apps to use mobile data, but that is no real solution; I would have to redo/undo that at each use of AA or when stopping AA.  

0 Likes
userUIXodnN9Rh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

the strange thing is that it used to work a few weeks ago.  

And indeed, there is no internet access by any app when connected to the wifi.  I can force individual apps to use mobile data, but that is no real solution; I would have to redo/undo that at each use of AA or when stopping AA.  

0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Galaxy S21

When you said reset the network connections di you mean Settings->GeneralOnn Management->Reset->Reset Network Connections? 

Have you deleted the AA app data and cache,  deleted all traces of the S21 from your head unit including the projection manager,  and installed as new? 

Bill
---
0 Likes
Solution
userUIXodnN9Rh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

ok...It is working again...

There is one part I didn't tell.  I use Android Auto against the HeadUnit Reloaded (HUR) App.  The head unit is a normal tablet, running this app. 

When I launch HUR it creates the hotspot.  But when I connect manually to the hotspot, I indeed loose my internet connection. 

I need to run the  'Wifi Launcher' App; on my smartphone this app also creates the connection to the HURs hotspot -and launches AA on the S21.  But when the Wifi launcher app creates the connection is does leave the mobile data active.  

I somehow got confused after not using this solution for some time.  I thought I could connect to  AA buy connecting the hotspot manually: It actually works but without the mobile data connection which makes it actually unusable.  So somehow this wifi launcher app does do some changes on the network settings to keep the internet alive via mobile.  

Thanks again for the support.  At least it triggered me to look a bit deeper in the solution.  

13thNemesis
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Ok, I was searching for a solution for some time about this and I found it.

Go into your Settings -> Connections -> Wi-Fi  (top button under connections) -> Click the three dots on top -> "Intelligent Wi-Fi"  (might be Adaptive in english - my phone is set to slovene)-> "Switch to better Wi-Fi networks" (the 2nd point in those settings) -> TURN THIS OFF!

It fixed it for me right away.

0 Likes