JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Overheating Problems on S21 (Update)

(Topic created on: 2/12/21 6:38 AM)
Tyrick
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

I just got my Galaxy S21 yesterday and it is amazing, fast, and looks beautiful but there is one major problem I've been having with it. If I try to do any sort of multitasking, the phone heats up to uncomfortable levels and displays a warning that it is too hot and for me to try split screen or pop up view when it cools down. For a phone that is supposed to be great at multitasking, this is a major flaw. I believe that this can be fixed through software optimization but as of right now this is very disappointing. I haven't even been using 5G yet. On my old Note 10±, I could run so many things at once without the phone even getting very hot but this one overheats easily. Even when charging, my note charges without getting so hot. This really needs to be fixed soon. I can't even run a youtube video in pip while browsing the web because it will overheat the phone. And it's strange because battery life so far has been phenomenal! I've gotten 2 days on one charge. Also, I saw that they recommended using the phone in environments between 50°-100° and my house is always at 70° or so which means that the phone should be running fine.

Update: I have since found out that one of the causes of the overheating is due to the 5G on this phone. When my phone is connected to my home wifi but I don't turn my mobile data off, it overheats and is very hot to the touch but after turning off my mobile data, the problem appears to be gone though not really since you should be able to keep your data on with wifi without overheating your phone. So just a heads-up until Samsung decides to fix this, make sure you keep your mobile data turned off when using a wifi network because the data syncing in the background is too much for the phone. So much for a "power efficient" processor I guess. This is really sad to see because now it seems that the Snapdragon variant is the one with the overheating as well as the Exynos so it's not necessarily a chip problem but more likely a problem with the 5G modem sapping too much power. SMH Samsung please fix this.:pensive_face:

Update 2: After using my phone for a few hours, it seems that the problem has appeared again even with data off. I guess that using multi-window or picture in picture also causes the device to overheat. I had youtube in pip mode while staying g on the home screen and no other apps open yet, the phone still overheated. The image below is of me using pip on YouTube while browsing a website on Google.

149 Replies
invis52
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
haha
0 Likes
coolral666
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

so basically you set the S21 ultra to S10 settings to get more battery?? that sounds like a downgrade to me doesnt it? you should keep an eye on that and return the device for an exchange if the default settings are causing issues. The device was advertised to get good battery life with adaptive brightness and adaptive refresh rate in WQHD else what's the point?

0 Likes
invis52
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
chrome was using a ton of battery switched to samsung internet
0 Likes
invis52
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
anyone else having this issue
0 Likes
ScarletVampire
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
As of right now my phone feels colder when idle with the Feb update (512gb 16gb ram version from T-Mobile).

Will update if I notice anything.
0 Likes
AP900
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S21
please fix this asap overheating and battery drain is causing since very beginning
betancd
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
Updated yesterday S21 Ultra Tmobile 512gb. I'm getting the reported overheating issues now. Was on Twitter and watching YouTube in multi window and got an error that multi window was shutting down and to let my phone cool down.
vjc789
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Just got a new S21 ultra. Had it for about four days. I noticed when ever I record video it gets very hot in the upper one third of the back of the phone. Mostly near and around the camera bump. If I only record videos less the 30 seconds at at a time and use the standard video it seems to be ok. But if I shoot in 8k 60, 30, or 120 fps or in pro mode the phone heats up quickly to a point where it is uncomfortable to hold in the palm of your hand. This seems to happen more often if I switch between standard video and pro mode video and directors mode frequently. This can't be a good thing. Does anybody else experience this?  I noticed when In ran a Geekbench benchmark test I'm getting results that are lower then my older S20 Ultra. I thought the S21 was supposed to have the Snapdragon 888 CPU chip set. Mine shows the AMR.AMRv8 processor. Is this the Snapdragon 888 CPU?  Going to return the phone. Getting hot like that can't be good for the battery or processor. Very disapointed with Samsung once again. Think I'll switch to Apple Iphone.
0 Likes
LGC
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
I was having the same issues. now, I manage to kind "fix" the problem. sometimes I still feel some warm around the camera but it is way better. what I did was: when I received my s21 ultra I did the full backup install, bringing apps and everything else. I factory reset my S21 and just install my backup for my contacts. no apps (I download after the setup only the apps I really need). I notice that the s21 ultra took almost 04 days to learn the battery pattern, even after learning I notice it kept a lot apps as not sleeping or deep sleep. what I did was to put all the apps I don't use everyday to sleep and apps I don't use often to deep sleep. I also check all updates for my apps including the apps from Galaxy store. Check all the apps under battery usage and see which ones are running all the time. this apps can make your phone overheat and also drain your battery. I did all this I was able to minimize the warm situation. sometimes, when using whatsapp for video calls or when using youtube 4k videos I notice the phone gets warm. checking the Temps never over 37/39c. I never had an issue like that with previous phones. idk if it is something "normal" for the s21 ultra. I'm still waiting to see how it goes before I contact Samsung about. since a warm phone, in my opinion, is not normal. my s20 ultra doesn't get warm at all. just to let u know, I'm using wqhd+, adaptive screen, wifi, Bluetooth, mobile data always on and I'm getting almost 23hours / 9h screen on .
Nashe86
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
yeah I notice the more I used the phone...it adapted to my usage ways. I uninstalled several apps I was not using....before all this I did the cache partition move and started the rest afterwards. Those moves seem to help so far. NOTE 9 user to S21 Ultra....never had problems and I mean not one problem out that Note 9....Hope I didn't make a mistake getting new phone.
0 Likes