JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Overheating Problems on S21

(Topic created: 01-28-2021 07:13 PM)
musepharaoh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

I just got my Galaxy S21 yesterday and it is amazing, fast, and looks beautiful but there is one major problem I've been having with it. If I try to do any sort of multitasking, the phone heats up to uncomfortable levels and displays a warning that it is too hot and for me to try split screen or pop up view when it cools down. For a phone that is supposed to be great at multitasking, this is a major flaw. I believe that this can be fixed through software optimization but as of right now this is very disappointing. I haven't even been using 5G yet. On my old Note 10±, I could run so many things at once without the phone even getting very hot but this one overheats easily. Even when charging, my note charges without getting so hot. This really needs to be fixed soon. I can't even run a youtube video in pip while browsing the web because it will overheat the phone. And it's strange because battery life so far has been phenomenal! I've gotten 2 days on one charge. Also, I saw that they recommended using the phone in environments between 50°-100° and my house is always at 70° or so which means that the phone should be running fine.

Update: I have since found out that one of the causes of the overheating is due to the 5G on this phone. When my phone is connected to my home wifi but I don't turn my mobile data off, it overheats and is very hot to the touch but after turning off my mobile data, the problem appears to be gone though not really since you should be able to keep your data on with wifi without overheating your phone. So just a heads-up until Samsung decides to fix this, make sure you keep your mobile data turned off when using a wifi network because the data syncing in the background is too much for the phone. So much for a "power efficient" processor I guess. This is really sad to see because now it seems that the Snapdragon variant is the one with the overheating as well as the Exynos so it's not necessarily a chip problem but more likely a problem with the 5G modem sapping too much power. SMH Samsung please fix this.😔

Update 2: After using my phone for a few hours, it seems that the problem has appeared again even with data off. I guess that using multi-window or picture in picture also causes the device to overheat. I had youtube in pip mode while staying g on the home screen and no other apps open yet, the phone still overheated. The image below is of me using pip on YouTube while browsing a website on Google.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Whether you're using a phone, tablet, smart watch, or earbuds, all Galaxy devices have a set temperature range, where they operate at their best. While they may feel warm under certain conditions, like charging, this does not affect the device's lifespan or performance. However, if your devices get too warm, it could cause some issues. Give this link a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00076952/ 

If your phone is getting too warm to touch, repairs would be recommended in order to have the technicians evaluate the device. This would be covered under the warranty. You may look into walk-in service repair options at your local uBreakiFix: https://www.ubreakifix.com/locations 

**Edit: Some users have reported that the most recent update is fixing the issues with the phone getting warmer than normal. Please ensure your phone is up-to date before looking into Service options. 

Samsung also offers ship-in repair options. To look into ship-in options, you can private message us here with the full model code and IMEI number: https://bit.ly/3pE8Pkc 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

156 Replies
Johanrodriguez
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

i have the same problems tooo

musepharaoh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

yeah it's really something

musepharaoh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

hopefully an update addresses the issue but I think it may also be that the phones are still trying to learn our usage patterns like the old phones did.

Grench
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

What cellphone company and what country.If u in the u.s like me,Once I turn the phone on it was a update available, did u have a update

musepharaoh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

yea same im in the US and did the update but it still overheats quite a bit

Grench
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

do u got on enhanced processing on?

musepharaoh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

no I turned it off and turned on adaptive power saving

musepharaoh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

I even went as far as to limit the screen brightness to 60% because it can't handle above that for long

musepharaoh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

I have the Snapdragon 888 model by the way