Original topic:

Phone restarting and apps crashing after webview problems

(Topic created on: 4/17/21 9:05 AM)
sethomas1975
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Ever since the android system webview issues, I have been getting app crashes,but phone locks up and restarts. When the webview problem started it only crashed apps,but since I didn't know the cause I factory reset my phone. Well since then I still get crashes and now restarts as well. I have factory reset 3 times and the last time did not load phone settings back and it still does it. Sometimes it restarts even while not in use. Everything on my phone is up to date and prior to webview I hadn't installed any new apps. Sometimes when the phone crashes it doesn't get past boot logo or just keeps resetting until I go in and clear app cache and then restart. I got this phone in February and had not one issue prior to this fiasco. AT&T told me that I should take my phone to Samsung due to warranty. Well they only have Monday through Friday hours until 5pm and I have other appointments and work till 3pm. I am beyond frustrated and do not want to do a fresh install and lose all my app data. Have seen a few others having similar issues,but no resolutions as of now. 

0 Likes
5 Replies
JackieM223
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm not getting any phone calls. It goes straight to voice mail.
0 Likes
sethomas1975
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
I just uninstalled webview updates and turned off auto updates to see if it functions better like that. If so, Google needs to fix their pos :face_with_steam_from_nose: software for webview.
0 Likes
sethomas1975
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Samsung is saying based on crash reports it could be hardware related (dram). So now I have to take it to Samsung to get checked.
0 Likes
sethomas1975
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Yesterday I went to ubreakifix to get my phone checked since the logs indicated a bad memory or something similar. Well after running diags they said the hardware is perfect and there were software issues. So he flashed an update (although none were available since I checked daily hoping for one) and cleared cache (I did this daily too) and said if problem persists or gets worse to call Samsung for a replacement. Funny thing though, he said he pushed an update and when I got home and checked it said I had an update available so I installed that and also renenabled webview (been 17 hours and no crash yet). I thought the problem was software related since it occurred when the webview update **bleep** it up and then I factory reset (3 times total). So maybe he cleared the glitch by forcing an unseen update. Time will tell! Hoping that's the last of my issues, because it was unpredictable and unbearable. When riding my motorcycle I can't exactly unlock and fix my phone while riding on the highway to or from work. I'll update again if problem returns or the opposite and it is gone.
0 Likes
sethomas1975
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Well it took 21 or 22 hours,but just looked down to see my phone rebooting and I wasn't even using it. So beyond annoyed that no one knows what's wrong with it. I am not sending it in without a replacement phone! AT&T says Samsung should fix or replace and Samsung says it's software related,but can't say why or what software is the issue. I've had the S4, S7, S8, Note 3, Note 8 and now S21 and this is the first Samsung to have major problems. I've sent I don't know how many crash reports to Samsung. They thought it was hardware related,but Ubreakifix says definitely not and it's software related. Someone figure this out!!!