Original topic:

Phone supposed to be unlocked, received a phone locked to AT&T

(Topic created: 02-29-2024 08:05 PM)
ableS21U
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

When I bought my phone, the description said it was "fully unlocked" and it is but when ever i boot it, the at&t logo still appears like it is still with its carrier, I've never had this problem but if anyone has answers, I would greatly appreciate it.

0 Likes
11 Replies
Ray_Ginald
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
If the phone was ordered from AT&T, then that would happen. When Samsung releases a new smartphone series, it partners with some of the biggest carriers in a particular region, in this case, AT&T in America. When AT&T gets the phone, they inject their own finishing touches, software-wise, into the Smartphones. Other times, by the phone's manufacturer themselves, if it's hardware related, that's why you also see AT&T's logo on the back of some older phones. So, the AT&T logo you see when you boot your phone is AT&T's "finishing touches" baked into the phone's software. It doesn't mean it's carrier-locked, so long as the contract was fulfilled or purchase was paid in full. The same thing happens if, say, you bought it directly from Samsung, then you will see only Samsung’s logo when the phone boots up. The AT&T logo can be removed, but only if you flash the phone itself via some software commands that enable you to replace the logo with something else. So, even though it's unlocked, it only applies to the network and doesn't change anything else on the phone, software-wise.
ableS21U
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I ordered it from amazon
0 Likes
ableS21U
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
And there is no logo on the back it's just the boot screen
0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21
You can easily tell if your device is factory unlocked by going to Settings>About phone. If your model name/number (beginning with SM-) ends with "U1," then it is unlocked.
ableS21U
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
It ends with only a U
0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy S21
Ah, then it is a locked variant.
ableS21U
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Hm interesting
0 Likes
ableS21U
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I already put a boost mobile sim card and it had no problem
0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy S21
Yes, it may indeed be carrier unlocked. Factory unlocked is a bit different.

Here is a decent explanation:

"Both factory-unlocked and carrier-unlocked phones can be used with any carrier, but they differ in origin. A factory-unlocked phone is not affiliated with any carrier when purchased and has no carrier-specific branding or software, allowing you to use it on any carrier supporting the phone’s wireless technology.

A carrier-unlocked phone is initially sold as locked by a specific carrier and later can be unlocked by the carrier or a third-party provider. Once unlocked, you can use it with any carrier of your choice."