Original topic:

Please allow us to unlock Bootloader

(Topic created on: 4/23/21 11:07 AM)
AstralBirthVoid
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Hello,

I would like to make a request for our Samsung phones. I have a Samsung Galaxy S21+ and I love the hardware. The speed, the display, the battery life and the cameras are amazing. However, the software, One UI, can be a hassle to use sometimes. You cannot customize it thoroughly without Galaxy Themes, and most themes do not fully account for all UI elements, creating an inconsistent design. There are also features that you cannot change because they are baked into the system. This is the case for many Android users, which is why many users like to flash Custom ROMs onto their phones to customize their phone thoroughly with ease. However, to accomplish this, you need to unlock your bootloader. Not all Samsung phones can do this, and if they can, it requires extensive work and it can be a hassle to get working. This is why I would like to ask for Samsung to allow us users who want to customize their phones thoroughly to unlock the bootloader with the OEM Unlocking feature in the settings. I understand this is a security risk for the phone, and that not everyone will want to do it. However, us users who want to customize our phones are confident that we can make it right and stay secure. Please allow us to unlock the bootloader on our Samsung phones with the Developer Options.

Thank you.
7 Replies
Shayshon
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Hmm, I know not all phones have it.. but on some phones -unlocked- you can unlock the bootloader after about 7 days

Cheers,
Shayshon
0 Likes
AstralBirthVoid
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Well...I am on a carrier...I hope that does not affect the unlockability...
0 Likes
Shayshon
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
I was searching some forums and it looks like some carriers like att do everything possible to lock down the phone.. and other carriers will be a little more relaxed about it

Cheers,
Shayshon
0 Likes
AstralBirthVoid
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Ah...do you know if U.S.Cellular allows you to unlock the bootloader?
0 Likes
Shayshon
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Open up the Settings application.
Scroll down and tap the “Developer Options” menu
Tap the “OEM Unlocking” toggle to enable this option.
If this option is grayed out you either need to wait longer (for Samsung’s internal waiting period) or your device is unable to be unlocked.
I would add in as far as I know Snapdragon-based Galaxy devices in the USA do not have an unlockable bootloader.

Cheers,
Shayshon
0 Likes
AstralBirthVoid
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Unfortunately the OEM Unlocking is not there...I have a Snapdragon Galaxy S21+ in the US. Thanks for your help though.
Shayshon
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
No problem

Cheers,
Shayshon
0 Likes