JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Portrait mode - S21 Ultra doesn't use telephoto 3x lens

(Topic created: 01-23-2021 08:00 AM)
myapps1989
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
Does anyone knows why Samsung doesn't use 3x telephoto lens for portait shots in S21 Ultra? It has dual pixel Af and portrait shots will be far better with telephoto lens.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
8 Replies
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Possibly because 3x is too long.  The sweet spot for 35mm portrait lens is 85mm which in smartphone terms is a bit under 2x, maybe 1.75x.   It's not an issue to take a portrait with 3x you'll just need to be a bit further from the subject and the bokeh might not be as good.  For serious portrait shooting I would shoot raw with the best lens I could...which might be the 3x, and then import them into Lightroom or Photoshop for post processing.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
myapps1989
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
I think 3x results would be better when compared to digitally zoomed 2x shots. Look at iPhone 12 pro max - it uses 2.5x zoom lens for portait shots and they do far better than Samsung S21 Ultra. I hope Samsung adds 3x telephoto portrait as an option.
Solution
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
myapps1989
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
hi, any feedback on this. Looks like lot of users wants 3x telephoto for portraits shots as it's the best focal length for portrait.
0 Likes
userbOfVXZIJsM
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I agree and I guess most of the people will. Even the lens is 70 mm which is perfect for portrait shots and the aperture is f/2.4 which is also in range for perfect portraits. I don't know if I am missing any information which would make the portraits weaker from the 3x telephoto.

myapps1989
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
Agreed, 70mm is best for portrait shots. Also, it will require less processing since 3x will achieve some blur naturally.
0 Likes
Faze33
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I agree if they unlock 3x for portraits it will be pretty sweet tbh
myapps1989
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
yep, I don't know why Samsung didn't thought of this.
0 Likes